Final prep for Philmont - help!

Hi, we are in the final stages of our trip to Philmont in 5 days. We had our final shakedown last night and here are a few of my concerns... let me know if I should worry or not.

1. There are a few boys taking rains coats but no pants.

2. There is one boy that said he will not take a long sleeve shirt

3. Do we need to take water purifiers or not? I keep hearing it both ways.

4. Do we need to take gloves?

5. Do we need to take soap or is camp zuds provided by Philmont?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

FYI-

I've gone to Philmont twice as a participant. Once as a kid with the basic expedition, once as an adult on cavalcade (horse back). FWIW, am from Florida.

1. I've never used rain pants. I prefer raincoats that are long enought to cover my shorts or ponchoes. I see many that do the same, some also using garters to keep the rain off their socks/out of their shoes. If these boys are used to doing the same, they should be ok. Frankly I've always thought people who used rain pants to be a bit weird. Never felt them needed in the weather we have here (or at Philmont). Now, if its COLD and rainy, yeah.

2. on my first trip I had t-shirts and a sweater, no long-sleeved shirt. I was fine. for cavalcade, we were required to wear a long-sleeved shirt on horse back. So long as the kid has a sweater or similiar warm clothes, he should be ok without long-sleeved shirt. (not sure why he won't take one)

3. can't answer.

4. For what? warmth or protection? Was never cold enought that I felt I needed them, never did anything that I felt I needed the protection.

5. Bring soap, a biodegradable one like Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.

Yah, this is Philmont, eh? All da boys goin' should be older scouts. I'd let them do what they think is right and live with the consequences. Plus the Philmont rangers will do gear checks. But, FWIW:

1. There are a few boys taking rains coats but no pants.

I prefer rain or at least windbreaker pants. For the lower country, goin' without isn't too bad, but a bit uncomfortable. For somethin' like goin' up Baldy, wind pants can be necessary. More important for smaller/leaner boys.

2. There is one boy that said he will not take a long sleeve shirt

Yah, so? He does have a long-sleeved jacket, right? And one or two long-sleeved insulating layers? I wouldn't sweat it.

3. Do we need to take water purifiers or not? I keep hearing it both ways.

Filters are bulky, heavy, and the guys usually clog them. Take iodine tabs, or perhaps one of the fancy new gizmos (UV or Ozone).

4. Do we need to take gloves?

Lightweight or wool gloves will help if it gets cold. Again, especially in the high country.

5. Do we need to take soap or is camp zuds provided by Philmont?

Soap? soap? Who needs soap? Leave da soap home and learn better LNT cleanup technique. Da Philmont Rangers will teach yeh. It'll keep da bear smellies down, too.

Thanks everyone,

The gloves are for the project we will do on the trail, so far I think one Scout and Adult is taking gloves. It is very dry down there so I'n not worrying about rain pants. The Scout that has no long sleeve shirts, has no long sleeve anything except is rain jacket.... so I assume he will be wearing that quite a bit in the morning.

Thanks again, Dave

A pack cover that still fits over a pack engorged with food is also important.

In 2004 the rain often started about noon and did not end till just before dinner.

Rain pants will be appreciated when the rain is blowing sideways, and then a poncho is worth little. On our way up to Wildhorse camp we had rain, hail, lightning & wind. By the time we got to camp our guys with inadequate gear were starting to chill. Not only were they wet from inadequate rain cover, but also since they did not put their stuff back in plastic while packing that morning and the pack cover did not fit, their warm clothing and sleeping bags were wet.

We got them dry and they lived, but hopefully the lesson was learned that the backcountry is not like summer camp.

Jeff

"A pack cover that still fits over a pack engorged with food is also important. "

FWIW, my pack cover for decades has been a plastic garbage bag, slipped over my pack. I make two slits for the shoulder straps. works fine. I use a second bag to put my pack in, when I set it down at the end of the day (first bag goes over this). This keeps the belts, straps, etc dry from the ground.

Never had a problem with this method. I've always used the more heavy duty bags.

I've also always kept all my small items in my pack in ziploc bags. Again, this I've done for decades. This ensures that items are easy to find, dry, and clean.

Again, as to 'long sleeves'. On my trip to Philmont as a kid my clothing consisted of shorts, t-shirts, sweater, and a rain jacket (which I found wasn't as waterproof as I thought...). No long pants, no long sleeve shirts. My sweater kept me warm in morning/evenings. My legs don't get that cold, so wasn't a problem. The only time I had to wear jeans was when we were spar pole climbing, and I borrow a crew mates pair. FYI- weather was dry first half of week, then rained & hailed mid-way, then cold drizzle for almost rest of week. I had no problems, really. HOWEVER, everyone one is different. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will for another.