High Adventure Opportunities in South Dakota

I am looking for some suggestions to take to our Venture group for High Adventure in SD. We (I mean the boys) are planning to go next summer and the boys are excited about the opportunity to see Mount Rushmore. Now they need to decide on what the trip will really be about. I have found a few things on the web, but thought this group could help a bit more with some reality based suggestions. Any opinions or experiences to share out there?

I have not heard of any high adventures done in SD. But I think hiking through the Badlands would be a great trip. Not sure if you could even do it.

Custer State Park would be a great place also for a hike. Watch out for the Buffalo!

Maybe a side trip to climb Devils Tower.

in the Deadwood area are some awesome mountian bike trails. A few places out there have bike rentals. Contact the Park Service and have your group take part in a flag cermoney at mt Rushmore, my son is 22 years old now AND STILL TALKS ABOUT HOW AWESOME IT WAS TOO TAKE PART. Just remember to not travel to the Black Hills during Sturgis motorcycle rally (1st couple of weeks in August) it is safe, but rates at most attractions double or triple and camping/lodging is booked 2-3 years in advance and you might have some explaining to do when you get home as the youth will get a eyefull if you are not carefull.

Black Hills Council has a nice camp out in the hills, if it is availble - they also have some great reference materials for things to do in the Hills - Evans Plunge at Hotsprings is fun and cheap. Good luck

Eaglebeader