Adult leader in a troop

We are heading off tomorrow for our Council Exporee. All Boys/Cubs from upstate SC can attend. Big time event held once every four years.

Oh my, weather forcast says thunderstorms all day tomorrow, continuing through the night, scattered thunderstorms on Saturday, and cold (well, 60s) and rainy on Sunday.

All those Scouts/Scouters moving around and camped in a gigantic field in the rain? Sounds like a muddy mess to me.

Can't wait - bring it on!

SR540Beaver - "boys in tin foil hats holding an extended fork in one hand and a spoon in the other while standing on an open hill during a thunderstorm" would definately lead to an exciting weekend. Think we will just stick with the planned activities instead. (LOL)

Well, what to tell the overworrying mother has been covered. As for rain in general, I'm a Meteorologist by training (BS from Party...er...Plymouth State College/University and MS from Texas Tech), but working outside of the weather field (not by choice--politics, long story and not on topic).

After our Spring and Fall "Rain-o-Rees" last year where we got over 1.5 and 3 inches of rain respectively (and at the Fall one I discovered that my car which had just come back from the body shop was not properly repaired and now had a jacuzzi in the trunk), and after hearing complaints from many parents and leaders that our district always picks the 'one' rainy weekend, I did a little research (and can post the paper on my website if anyone is interested in reading it).

Over the past ten years here in central Maine, it doesn't matter what weekend you choose to go camping in the spring or fall, you have an 80% chance of it precipitating (there were a few instances of snow) and not lightly. Pulling up the figures for those ten years showed an average rainfall of over an inch over the weekend.

So, if you're up in my neck of the woods, pack your storm gear, 'cause it's gonna rain the weekend of May 19th (our spring camporee) and the weekend after Columbus Day (our fall camporee). ;)

As adults, we need to remember that some of the most trying times will be remembered with great fondness by the Scouts. We've had three extreme weather situations that come readily to mind, which created great memories for the boys...

1) We fondly refer to as the "Mud Fest"...say that term and everyone in the District knows what you are referring to. 4-wheel drive vehicles were getting buried up to the axles. But we had a great time.

2) Rained 15 inches in a day. We had to cross a creek that had no bridge to get to the campground. The phrase "God willing & the creek don't rise" took on all new meaning...the creek was rising rapidly. Troops had to evacuate NOW, leaving all camping gear where it stood. Tents leaked, cooking was difficult, and a good time was had by all.

3) Probably the most memorable: Our District hosts a tree re-plant for a forested area which had an extensive fire not so many years ago. One year we had a bilzzard of mammoth proportions. Many of the Scouts were stranded in towns on their way to the event. Those who were there were moved out of their campsites and into the historical buildings at the rebuilt Ft. Robinson. There were wall-to-wall scouts & leaders. No-one could get to town for more food, so the Fort opened their dining hall (which wasn't restocked for the season yet), and we pooled troop resources with what the Fort had available, and fed 500 people for several extra days. The team spirit and memories were awesome. All troops called parents to let them know we were okay. We had a special patch made up with a scout holding onto a tree shovel and the Scout is being blown parallel to the ground.

With foresight and planning for the worst, things like this can be weathered with no major concerns. Maybe situations aren't ideal, but we survive. And we create memories to talk about around the campfire for years...

Then a tragedy like the canoeing accident occurs. All in the Scouting community are saddened and humbled. I pray we can all learn from this. In spite of that, we need to decide if we are going to mollycoddle our sons or allow them to grow into men. It's awfully hard to let go sometimes. But that is part of what Scouting is about...teaching them how to be self-accountable in the world, then standing back & letting them go.

Man I love this Scouting stuff...Ma

Back from the Council Exporee. Over 2500 Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and leaders in attedance.

The weather Gods were smiling on us. Thunderstorms rolled in Friday afternoon as the troops were arriving but ended by 7:00. Saturday was fantastic, sunny and in the 80s. A brief thunderstorm Saturday evening around dinner time and thoughts of the evening's assembly and show being cancelled. But, our local news channel's chief meteorologist was on hand to tell us no rain for the remainder of the evening. He was right! Great evening.

Bit of rain in the early morning Sunday. Woke to cloudy skies and fairly brisk wind (which dried the tents nicely). Packed up and just as we were leaving the temperature started dropping and the rains came.

Great time had by all!