I went to Philmont in the summer of "78", and one of the things I remember is the nightly struggle to hang the bear bag. We were taught to tie our rope around a rack, and throw each end through a tree, and hang the bag of food ect. in between. The problem is a rock is not the easiest thing to tie a rope to. I think I found a easier way of doing this in the Bear (Cubscout ) handbook. Put the rock in a sock, and tie the rope to the sock, and swing and throw it. Has anyone ever tried this method and see if it works as well as I think should????

briantshore,

It's actually called a "throw bag" (or weight bag) some arborists use the technique with a weighted leather bag to toss small lines up into the trees in order to pull larger lines for 'directing' direction of the fall when they cut the tree down or for hauling up larger lines to allow them to climb up for tree topping and trimming. They usually use an under-hand throw -like girls used to use in the 'dark ages' for basketball free throws....(it's a very effective method by the way for line tossing and for free throws)

Anarchist

OGE

HA!...are we really ready to tell them how old we ...are...er remember...er saw in a news reel...er, what was I saying...where am I?

Anarchist

Guy Rodgers -NBA free throw record holder (does it still stand?) Did it underhanded...one...two....three... four...you had to be there!

died a few years back, played about 12 years in NBA was Wilt "the stilt's" sidekick for awhile...had over 900 assists at one point....was the cincinnatti Bucks first real "hero"....(This message has been edited by anarchist)