I like to think that we always explain any rules we do impose. I believe we do. As mentioned, we are one of those troops that uses two trailers (close to needing a third) when we go to camp and we don't allow chairs. Why, because one trailer contains all of the gas bottles, lanterns, stoves, tents, dining flies, patrol boxes, etc. to support 60 campers. The other trailer contains soft-sided personal gear, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and food. They are packed to the top and there is no room for 60 folding chairs.....or cots. Simple enough.

My son has to purchase the food for his patrol for this weekend's campout. We don't allow pop. We do allow kool-aid. They had Capri Sun's listed on their shopping list. Due to the cost factor, we usually don't allow this. I asked him why they had it on the list. Because on the last campout they had one of their ADHD boys eat a can of kool-aid mix and he had red lips and hands most of the trip while he bounced all over camp. I saw this happen in another troop and in our Jambo troop with different boys. We didn't outlaw kool-aid because of it. My son's patrol decided on their own to try using packaged drinks in an effort to stop the eating of kool-aid powder.

In our old troop, we had a rule that a boy would be sent home if he didn't show up wearing his boots for a campout. Why? Because we had boys showing up in open toed shoes and nothing else. No amout of educating them seemed to change their behavior. We made the rule and never had a boy not show up in his boots. Eventually, it just became standrad practice and never had to be mentioned or enforced.

I personally break the no food in the tent rule. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I can't afford to wake up with a very low blood sugar when it is 15 degrees outside and rummage thru the patrol box in the dark looking for food. I need it now. I use my own tent and we don't live in bear country. That doesn't mean a coon or skunk won't rip a hole in the tent trying to get to it, but it is my tent.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings everyone!

At Summer camp, but especially at Jamboree. We kindly requested fellow Scouts to walk thru our campsite gateway, rather than barging in between the tents, and right in the middle of reflection or training.

We usually had an adult in the Jambo campsite at all times, and enjoyed meeting the other Scouts and Troops. But we asked our Scouts, not to allow other Scouts into the campsite, on the ocassion when no adults were present.

As for Rules. For years, I have been trying to get my Troop to bring me my cup of coffee directly to my tent at 6:30 a.m.. It hasn't worked yet.

My pet peeve rule... No foul language! They hear it in school, and its probably the coolest lingo to use there. Maybe it sounds more mature to them. Myself, I probably know more foul words, in more languages than my Scouts. But if they don't hear it from the leaders, then why should we hear it from them?

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Obivously Crew21_Adv you are doing something wrong!

As a teenager our Explorer Advisor had us "properly trained"

and he would receive his coffee at his tent in the morning!

Must have been something in the old Explorer training that was removed when it switched to Venturing. Probably has something to do with Youth Protection and hot coffee (remember McDonald's?)

;)

CC

As a female SM, I'm imposing a new rule for summer camp this year.

Every morning, Scouts must bring me from the campsite to the assembly in a sedan chair properly lashed together. Of course, they must avert their eyes to my presence and gently place the chair to the ground so that I may debark with all the grace and ceremony befitting my high rank and authority.

So it is written.

we have had to resort to the no soda on campouts rule. Soda was previously purchased using meal money and available on campouts but each boy was given his quota or share of soda's he was allowed. Well some are savers and some are consumers. on sunday morning as we were preparing to leave a boy requested a soda from his allotment according to him his first soda of the weekend, there were no soda's left the consumers had consumed then in entirety and were not willing to confess their gluttony at their patrol mate's expense. Thus we banned soda purchases using pooled funds. The boys could bring soda of their own for the weekend if they are willing to lug it.

gwd wrote:

Every morning, Scouts must bring me from the campsite to the assembly in a sedan chair properly lashed together. Of course, they must avert their eyes to my presence and gently place the chair to the ground so that I may debark with all the grace and ceremony befitting my high rank and authority. So it is written.

So let it be done! You will be the envy of Scouters everywhere and may start a new trend. You must have great faith in your Scout's abilities! :)

CC

OGE, you clearly need to watch the 10 Commandments to get a refresher course on proper treatment of royalty, including SMs(the old one with Charlton Heston). It is not white doves, but rose petals, and these should be strewn about in a graceful manner. Since most 11 yr. old boys I know are somewhat lacking in natural grace, I recommend we spend the "skill" segments at troop meetings teaching them to do this in a tolerable fashion.

Lisa'bob (just call me "Pharoe." So let it be written. So let it be done.)

How silly of me, white doves are for Olympic Champions, rose petals are for Scoutmasters and assorted other royalties...

I can just see our new scouts walking along and under their breath counting "...2, 3, 4 and grande jete, jete, grande jete, 2, 3, 4, and grande jete, jete, grande jete..."

At last years council event the big friday night to do was a movie shown outdoors. While the massess were being seated, old (and I mean old) music videos were being shown. The Crew got there just in time to dance done the aisle to Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun" with yours truly interpeting the Capt Lou Albanno character with aplomb. I should remark that since we had 3 19-20 yr old young lady members with it, it certainly rang true. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

At summer camp, we don't allow pop, candy or snacks before dinner. Reason? Everyone gets 3 meals per day. It might not be gourmet food but it is nutritional. Candy, snacks & pop aren't. Sports drinks & water are allowed & we always have a full jug of bug juice.

After dinner, the Scouts are allowed to hit the trading post for pop & candy & snacks.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Actually not having food or soda in a tent isnt a silly rule, its a safety rule. Google Goose Pond and boy scout and bear. And while the prospect of a bear rummaging through your tent may seem remote, skunks, posums and raccoons along with chipmunks can be mighty devastating equipment wise. We tell the campers, its their home, we are just here for the week

OGE I was there when that happend. I mean it was in our site, we shared the site with another troop and the boy was from the other troop. The other thing was the boys had plastic bags tied to the end of their bunks for garbage and you could guess what was in the bags, empty candy bar wrappers, etc. I have pictures of what the tent looked like after the bear went thru it as well as the boys foot locker. I tell the boys not to leave garbage around or in their tents and we have one boy assigned during summer camp to take what garbage their is dumpster every night.