What is your troop high adventure plans for 2006? I will be taking my troop on 2 weeklong backpack trips this year, in a couple of weeks we will be going to Zion National Park hiking from Lee Pass to The Grotto. This summer in July we will be taking a trip to Lassen Volcanic National Park where we will hike to the peaks of all 4 types of volcanos in the world. We have a trek going to Philmont in 07 and will be looking for ideas for a spring trip for next year soon.

DugNevius

We are located in Southern California and you guys? How did your guys like Zion? Our troop did Zion in 2003, I was not on the trip as I was still in college. I recently took over as the backpacking coord. when I finished up college and one of the young men who was on the 03 trek requested another trip. Last one they got snowed in while they were at sawmill springs and had to hike out in one day from sawmill springs after the unplanned layover.

We have a week long trip planned through Yosemite, from Tuolumne Meadows down to the valley, with a side trip to Half Dome. We actually have two groups going on different treks at the same time, and it looks like we'll hook up on the last night before we hit the valley. I've got the guys totally ramped up/stoked for this ( see, I can speak at least SOME teenager! ).

We also have two shorter BP trips in June and Sept as well.

Thanks Yall. Peace. See ya Dude.

Hikeaholic- I was at Philmont at the time but in speaking to the boys who did the Zion Trip (They also hit up the grand canyon) they seemed to really have a lot of fun.

Our troop likes to hike the AT in Maine, and the New England stretch of the AT offers some real good hiking, but it might be a haul from Cali.

CA_Scouter,

Sounds great, we did a Yosemite hike from Tuolumne Meadows in 04 that included half dome and Cloud's Rest. The scenery was great unlucky for me I had my digital camera and its bag which just had a velcro lid and the camera ended dropping of of the slope while i was climbing to the top. Make sure everyone secures their gear on the way to the top inside a a pack that zips shut, lesson learned hard.. Have a great trip

Our troop completed our winter high adventure outing the weekend of March 24-28 an yearly campout called the Frostbite Challenge held near Fraser B.C.

In July we are hiking the Chilkoot trail and have several shakedown camps planned for it to work the bugs out of the menu and camping plan.

Summer 2007 we are looking into several possiblities a paddle down a portion of the Yukon River a strong contender at this point

hikeoholic have a great time in Lassen Park, I grew up in scouting not too far from there and have been working on the troop commitee here on the possibility of showing the scouts an area they havent seen yet

Have a great time out there

-Phil

aka AK-Eagle

• 1 month later...

Ah, havn't looked at this site for a few months, but thought that I would add our trip.

My Crew 136, Laramie, WY is hosting a Troop/Crew from OK (T/C 77) on a joint outing to do Desolation and Gray's Canyon on the Green River - the whole 82 miles.

T/C 136 members are taught all the skills necessary to run their own whitewater rafts, as will T/C 77 when they arrive. This will be a self guided - self supported trip. We adults after a couple of days of coaching will have the Scouts to run the entire trip (under observation of course).

Hope to make a good video of the trip and its preparation hopefully, wonder if anyone would like to see it?

Are there any other Troops or Crews out there who train their members in whitewater rafting to run their own??

JB

• 3 weeks later...