Burning MatchLight and Human Waste

Kind of two parts. The GSS states that we cannot use liquid fuel to start fires. No brainer.

But what about MatchLight? It's charcoal with liquid fuel applied in the factory. Is that okay?

If that's okay, can you make your own at home, bag up the charcoal and use that at a BSA activity?

Leave No Trace states that you can burn human waste as an alternative to catholes. What if you used some liquid fuel and mixed it with the waste (like the Army does), in essence making "MatchLight" and then burn the resulting product?

If you can't do the last one (or two), then what about starter sticks that people use. It's not liquid fuel itself, but the fuel (wood, waste, whatever) has been impregnated/treated with some form of superior starter (usually liquid fuel)?

Thoughts?

Charcoal lighter is not classified as liquid fuel, atleast not in our council. Mitchlight charcoal definatly is not liquid fuel.

As to the burning of human waste, hmmm. Seeing as I spent years deplyed with the Army, unless I had to and had no alternative I would not do it again.

But if you must and there is no other choice remeber the rules.

1. Stand upwind.

2. Don't eat a big breakfast before you start.

3. Stir fuel in mix before you light(or you may have a spectacular explosion.

4. DO NOT serve chocolate pudding for desert for a while or you will get some really gross comments.

>Charcoal lighter is not classified as liquid fuel

You know, that makes sense becaues the GSS specifically mentions the proper storage of charcoal fuel. Why would the GSS address the storage of it if it was not permitted at all?

It's like addressing how to safely store fireworks, when fireworks are prohibited outright.

Having spent my after high school years with the USMC,some of it in the Paris of the Med. (Beirut) I have burned more than my fair share of human waste.

It is not fun.

It does not readily burn, even after it has soaked all day in diesel fuel. By weight it is easily half water. The fire would have more impact than a nugget or two.

Bury it in a shallow grave and combine it with some organic matter.

The average Canada Goose poops as much as a man in a day. When flocks of 500 geese are in a field I can't help but see three companies of Marine riflemen and how much poop those Geese are leaving.

Geese do not have pooper scoopers and the world does not end because of them.

Leave no trace can be carried WAAAAAY to far.

Clean up the area, bury your poop, you'll be OK

The authors of LNT books have not burned half the poop I have.

Alright. I'm convinced on the burning of waste.

Let me ask, though. Do you think it's safe to bury human waste on a barrier island? I'm worried about shifting sand (though you could dig down a ways at the top of the island I suppose).

Also, any other councils allow charcoal fluid? We always assumed it was off limits.

In my past life as an amatuer moutaineer, I heard stories of big wall climbers taking brown paper bags with them. They'd fill them, twist the end, light it and toss it. By the time it hit the canyon floor, the paper was completely burned away. Not exactly LNT. But climbers can be a very self absorbed, messy clan.

I too use charcoal chimneys to start my charcoal. I've found them at Walmart (about $9) and Home Depot (about $12). They hold about 4-5 pounds of charcoal respectively, more than enough for most cooking, etc. Two pieces of paper, one match, NO lighter fluid. Takes about 15-20 minutes for your coals to be ready.

The chimney works great for car camping, but when at home, I use a propane torch to get one briquet started, then an air compressor, shopvac or leaf blower to fan the flames. You can get a 20 lbs of charcoal going in about 5 minutes using that method. My wife just shakes her head. I'm gonna try oxygen next time when I get my Oxy/acetene welder filled. BBQ at Gern's place! He's the one without any eye brows.

Charcoal starter fluid? Make your own fire starters.

Fiber egg cartons, dryer lint & candle wax. Fill each cell of the egg carton 1/2 full with dryer lint. Melt candle wax & pour in each cell so the lint is saturated. Fill each cell to the top with dryer lint & saturate again with melted candle wax. Close carton wrap in waxed paper & place in the fridge over night. You now have 1 dozen fire starters.

Buy chimney's at Wal*Mart? A #10 coffee can works just as well! Light two of your homemade fire starters, place a #10 coffee can over it, fill with charcoal then place another #10 coffee can on top! Excellent chimney! And very inexpensive! Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the bottom of the coffee cans!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

BTW, I used MatchLight in a chimney once. Talk about a blast furnace. Flames shot about a foot above the chimney and didn't die down for 30 minutes. They really saturate MatchLight with fluid. The smell of the burning fluid was nauseating too.

I like Ed's idea of egg crate starters and coffee cans. I'll stick with my store bought chimney though. I like the integrated handle to move the hot coals. I will try the egg/wax thing though.

On a sailing vacation in the British Virgin Islands, they provisioned our boat with little egg type crates filled with charcoal. You just set the whole crate on fire in the BBQ and it worked great. One egg crate was more than enough to cook for 4 people.

When I was a scout our district held what we called "Show-N-Do"s. Troops would demonstrate and teach different skills. We had a large Sherwin Williams Paint factory in town and some one got them to donate a semi full of new paint cans. We used a can opener to make holes around the bottom of the can for air and punched holes with an awl about 2 inches above that. The holes were arranged in pairs about 2 inches and centered on the N S E W axis. Inserting wire clothes hangers into the holes produced a platform inside which looked like this (except straight) #. The troop had heavy screening which had been cut in circles designed to drop through the opening at the top. You put the paper in through the top, inset the screen and fill with charcoal. With the bottom still in place the ash would not fall out as with a chimney. We were able to start them on a table just by setting them on an inverted metal plate from the cook kit. The can handle, which at that time was affixed to the can with metal bushings not plastic, made it possible to move the stove with a pair of pot pliers. Add a wire grate on top so air can flow up and out and you have a table top charcoal stove. I finally lost mine when my wife decided she had to clean the garage and couldn't understand why I had a rusty old paint can with holes in it on the shelf.