I have been asked to give instructions in outdoor cooking for my daughters girl scout troop this summmer. Since I am very rusty, and not been camping in 25 years, I need some information. I am looking into the use of tin can stoves. One source says to roll up corrigated cardboard and add melted paraffin and burn this as fuel. Has anyone ever tried this method, and where do you find a paraffin store?? I am thinking that I might find it in the canning section of the local grocery store, but I am not sure. These are 9 year old girl, and I want simple idea's to get them started. I plan on having them do foil packs for their first meal. Thank you

Paraffin is available at most major chain grocery stores. Cat food or tuna fish cans work best as they are a good size when ignited. Save the lid and use it as a flame control, covering and exposing amounts of the cardboard surface to regulate heat. I find that melting paraffin in the can first and then slowly inserting the rolled up cardboard is easier and safer than melting paraffin in a double boiler and pouring it over the cardboard. I set the cans on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. Afterward lay solid paraffin pieces on the top of the cardboard and allow them to slowly melt into the roll in the oven to top off your fuel source. You mention foil packs as a lunch item, these are generally not cooked on tin can stoves, though I suppose you can. Another method is to use cedar shavings sold in pet shops in place of cardboard, I've used both. The tin can stoves will soot up and need to be handled carefully after they cool so as not to soil hands and clothing. Depending on how tight you roll the cardboard or pack the cedar chips, if you fill the can till paraffin levels come within a quarter inch of the rim the fuel source will last through several uses.

I second the grocery store source, I find it in the section that has mason jars and lids, or in the section with charcoal lighter. It varies. I like the tuna can approach but if you have some used Sterno cans they have a tight lid that works a little better. Be careful.

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. I wanted them to try several differant cooking methods. Foil packs one day, tin can stove the next, and possably wood fire the next. This way they can see that there are more ways than one to fix a meal. We could also discuse the pros and cons of each method. Thanks for the help.

A few more sources for paraffin :

Old candles - Wonderful things! Use old broken ones or $1 store ones. They are also great for Candle Kiss fire starters. Break them into chunks about 1-2 inches long, roll each chunk in a piece of waxed paper & twist each end so they look like pieces of candy. In a pinch, I have also used newspaper to wrap.

Craft Store - Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. They all have sections on candle making & carry candle wax. I believe I saw a granulated or powered version that might work well.

For the stove, we used tuna cans, cut corrugated cardboard from boxes a bit taller than can & rolled it tightly. We melted candles & poured it over the cardboard. Let it set a while so the cardboard soaks it up & then top it off. We never cooked directly on the tuna can, it was simply the heat source. The other half of the stove is a (metal) coffee can with holes punched around the bottom & top for air flow. The coffee can is inverted over the tuna can. You can put a pan on the coffee can for cooking, or cook directly on the bottom of the coffee can. When finished cooking, turn the coffee can over & sit it on the tuna can to smother the flame. When everything is cold to the touch put the tuna can inside the coffee can & put the coffee can cover (makes a good spoon rest!) on to keep it together. I store the whole sooty mess in a plastic grocery bag, tie the handles once to keep everything inside & you're good to go!

Grilled cheese sandwiches are good for cooking directly on the can. My girls also liked the challenge of making sausages & pancakes on their own can (fry pans are boring you know!). If you keep the tuna cans filled up what you are mostly burning is the wax, not the cardboard, & it will last a long time.

For simple outdoor cooking, don't forget about pie irons. You can cook pizza, sandwiches, pot pies, desserts & more. Also, you should introduce them to dutch oven cooking. Dumping everything in one pot is always a hit!

Different ways to prepare meals in the outdoors.....hey

Here's a short list....

Reflector ovens, cardboard ovens, Dutch ovens, rock boiling in wooden bowls, rock frying, sun cookers, coal baking, clay baking, searing, and steam pits...

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of writing a compilation of information on vagabond stoves and buddy burners. It's up to 20 pages now and not finished yet :))) I'll put word in here when it's complete. Could use a place to post it online so it's easily accessible for folks too...

Peace!

Anne in Mpls

The parafin stove is ok but less useful to a group that will be primaraly car camping. Grate cooking over charcoal fire should be the focus. I like to foil cooking but include heating up water for noodles, cooking eggs, making coffee and no cooking meals. Develop a sample meal plan for a two night campout.

Go over equipment, liquid fuel stoves, cannister stoves, backpacking stove. Talk about paper plates and lexan plates and the three pot method.