Philmont Youth Crew Leader Resources

I have been elected Youth Crew Leader for my Philmont contingent and I am interested in trying to really pull my Crew together and make an awesome experience. Does anybody know of Leadership Resources tht=at can help me brush up on effective leading habits? I have plenty of info on Teambuilding skills, and my group is going through Project COPE, but I am interested in becoming a better leader. Does anyone know of good leadership sources?

Thanks,

Hillis

Hillis,

Your crew is lucky to have such a dedicated leader. Right off the bat, you are ahead of the curve. I'm certain you've done already troop-level JLT and Silver Pines, right? And the COPE experience you have scheduled will be just the thing to draw your crew together as a team. These training experiences can prepare you as a leader, but nothing is better than just doing it and learning by experience. You'll make plenty of mistakes, for sure. At COPE, at Philmont, and all through life, but the trick is to learn from them. I'm sure you're going to do terrific.

Hillis,

Your crew is lucky to have such a dedicated leader. Right off the bat, you are ahead of the curve. I'm certain you've done already troop-level JLT and Silver Pines, right? And the COPE experience you have scheduled will be just the thing to draw your crew together as a team. These training experiences can prepare you as a leader, but nothing is better than just doing it and learning by experience. You'll make plenty of mistakes, for sure. At COPE, at Philmont, and all through life, but the trick is to learn from them. I'm sure you're going to do terrific.

Hillis,

Get copy of the BSA Fieldbook and study Chapter 1. It's excellent!

Heed Trevorum's advice. I have led a lot of high adventure trips through the years and consider them to be about the best that Scouting has to offer. My observations have led me to believe that a successful crew is based about 30% on skill and 70% on effective teamwork. Teamwork is certainly built camping, but you can also have some fun and build friendships just doing things like all meeting for pizza together, going out to a movie, or having an X-Box marathon competition sleepover. (Never thought I would admit to the value of Nintardo and it's ilk. Don't tell my boys. Nevermind - they'd never believe I said it anyway.) But camping together on shakedown activities is the most important of all. Get them used to working together with you as the leader. And get your adult advisors used to hiking at the back and letting you lead!

To quote one of my favorite leaders, Gen Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of the US Central Command during Operation Desert Storm (1st Gulf War), "When put in charge -- Take Charge!"

You have a great attitude and you are all going to have a GREAT time!

Keep us informed on your progress and tell us about it when you get back!!

-mike

Hillis,

You have already done the most important thing to be an effective leader..... you have a great attitude....and YOU want to get better.... The entire crew will feed off your attitude more than you ever thought. Keep up the great work.

Dave