What are the requirements for Philmont? I looked on the official site and could find no minimums for age, rank, etc. My son is crossing into the troop in 2 weeks and our old CM, who's now an ASM, mentioned a Philmont trip in 2007 or 2008.I'm his WEB2 DL and will become an ASM in the troop at crossover, and I want to go to Philmont! My son will turn 12 in late July this year, so would he be old enough for 2007? Would my son be allowed to go if his birthday were close to the time of the trip and if I were to go as well?

When I was a Scout, our troop went to Boundary Waters. My brother was only twelve, but our uncle was a registered leader, and was his personal "chapperone", so my brother was permitted to go. I know policies have changed in 23 years, but was curious. Of course I could be kicking dust up on the trail for no reason if my son doesn't want to go to Philmont. Thanks for any info.

When someone going on a Trek gets the Philmont Class III Physical form (all trekking must complete PHILMONT'S Class III), there are some specific height and weight guidelines. It's a combination of physical fitness and ability to manpack a human out of the backcountry.

There is no rank requirement established by Philmont, but many troops will require all high-adventure participants to be at least First Class and maybe to already have earned some applicable merit badges (Camping, Canoeing, and First Aid come to mind).

Good luck getting into Philmont. The slots for 2007 have already been handed out. Lottery takes place in the Fall for treks over 1.5 years in the future due to huge demand.

Don't sweat it too much. In addition to troop treks, there are also options to a trek through your local council or to join in with another group that has openings. (Usually at the last minute when someone drops out. If your son is active, gets lots of experience camping with his troop, and is in good shape, the opportunity will come up. There are also Order of the Arrow treks, etc.

Enjoy the ride!

It is. Directly from Philmont's letter, "Please note, the minimum age required to attend Philmont is 14 by January 1 of the year attending OR have completed the eighth grade and be at least 13 prior to participation, without exception."