single tents at Philmont

Hi, our council advisor is "highly recommending" that we don't let any of the boys take single person tents.. mostly because of the buddy system. Can anyone tell me if this is a Philmont requirement... we have a couple of boys that have bought single person tents to use at Philmont.

Thanks Dave

I don't know if it is a requirement, when I went to Philmont we never even discussed the possiblity of using single person tents, primarily because we use troop tents and the troop doesn't own any personal tents (buddy system!!). I know that our ranger, and the leader in our troop who subsequently became a philmont ranger used a single person tent, but that was out of convience and the fact that the ranger shouldn't need to have anyone else sharing a tent with you for the hopefully 2 days they will be with you.

Our troop has always taken T4's (timberline's) and slept 3 to a tent, whether it was adults, or youth's, at least in the past. Our last crew only did 2 per tent and that upped the quantities of tents to carry by 1/3. I personally think that individual tents would be a waste, just because of the extra space and weight they will take up. Every pound can count at philmont that you are going to carry, and while an individual tent will be smaller and hopefully lighter than a tent for 2-3, you now have 12 tents to carry total, 12 ground cloths, etc... rather then 4-6 tents spread out over 12 people (assuming you have a 12 person crew).

I'm sure we have someone out here that is a philmont ranger, former ranger, or knows the details of philmont trek requirements who could give a definitive answer.

But why did they buy the individual tents? Do they need them, or simply want them? I would hope by the time any scout goes to Philmont they would be well indocternated (sp) in the ways of the buddy system and would see the light of using that, even at night while sleeping.

I took 3 crews to Philmont in 2004.

I'm not sure if it was a hard "requirement" that couldn't be waived, but it was explained to us that small single person tents were not allowed. Since we weren't planning to use any, I didn't soak in all the details, but recall it was described as a safety issue. Seems the really small 1-person tents look too much like a log that might reward a hungry bear with grubs if he rolled it over in the middle of the night.

I'm certain that buddy system was not discussed as part of the rationale.

We had one adult sleep solo in a tent, but it was a 2-person tent and always set up right next to the other adult tent with two. By coincidence, our solo adult had the same tent used by our ranger.

Check your Philmont Advisor's Guide for latest info. If you don't have it, you'll be getting it soon.

While we're talking tents at Philmont, our guys used mostly privately-owned tents, but several elected to use Philmont tents. They were a little slow going up the first day, but the guys were very happy with them.

Regardless of tents, you're going to have a great time!

-mike

Thanks much for your advise. We do a have full trek (12 people) and only 2 boys have solo tents, they have used them on other backpacking trips we have taken so they didn't buy them specifically for Philmont.... I also have one female adult leader going and her son doesn't want to sleep with her so she will be taking a small tent.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of the really small tents because for bit more you can buy a small 2 person (which is what my son and I have) and then he can use it solo if he wants to in the future.

Thanks again, I can't wait to go....

I went last year, and essentially they tell you that you can't use a single tent unless it is necessitated due to an odd number of people, an odd number of adults, or to prevent males and females from co-habitating. The reason is to keep the impact on the facilities low. They specifically prohibit bivy sacks, in writing, in the printed material they send out.

If you really feel the need to sleep solo, weigh your pack with the initial 3-4 days worth of food and your share of crew gear. You will likely change your mind. It is very difficult to keep the weight under 45 lbs with a solo tent in side. Less is way better.

Our crew had adults and Scouts from 4 units in 2 states, some of which met for the first time in the registration line at Philmont. Only 1 tent wound up with people from different units who did not previously know each other (2 adults). It worked out just fine.

They specifically prohibit bivy sacks, in writing, in the printed material they send out.

I can understand not wanting 12 single tents in some of the tight campsites in Philmont. But da rule on bivy sacks makes no sense whatsoever.

Either this is a fairly new rule or we just didn't know it because a couple of our crews in the past have had single person tents. I do agree that single tents do add weight and is a good reason to reconsider if you can.

The bear and log suggestion is interesting, I always thought dirty scouts smelled like grub worms, now I have support. And, I guess that answers the question of what a bear does with logs in the woods.

Beary

• 3 weeks later...

The answers above regarding no bivy sacks allowed at Philmont are correct. Philmont does, however, allow single-person tents in the event of an odd number, or in your case, a female advisor. Your ranger will share ideas on how to cluster your tents each night on the trail.

With one female in the crew, that means two solo tents and five two-person tents, unless one of the tents will hold three boys.

Pete