What do they do with all the money?

It is worth pointing out that non profits are not immune to financial abuse. In my opinion non profits are probably more susceptible because fewer people are watching.

Remember the scandal in the 80's about the national United Way organization? The long time president of United Way had set up some closely held companies operated by family members to provide various services to the national United Way organization.

More recently the Red Cross has taken heat for diverting funds donated for 9-11 to other programs. In the case of the Red Cross, no one is accused of stealing.

I think that it would be difficult to say the least for large scandals to emerge in scouting. Most of the money is spent at the local council level and there are volunteer boards to watch that. There may be mismanagement, but I would be surprised at outright theft.

Similar concerns in Australia. Disclosure is not evident and most opinions amongst volunteers are (due to lacking disclosure) fairly anecdotal.

However, we do NOT have proffessional scouters (bar the state chief exec and a few secretaries). Council staff consists of a part time secretary. There is almost no advertising, few camping grounds (private property is the go) and the few camping grounds have volunteer staff with barely adequate equipment.

It strikes me that they may be a bit like the self fulfilling prophecy. They exist and raise money etc yet they cost a lot which means they must raise more, and to do their job best they need a secretary and office which requires more money...

I still think though that your finances seem better than ours and professional assistance would be excellant.

Relations between management and staff are often strained and it needs both work and commitment from both. But management should lead the process. They should not have to be asked.