Our troop will be doing elections soon. I'm faced with a situation where a Den Chief wants to also be a Patrol Leader. He is well qualified, and the other members of the patrol are decidedly not ready for PL. In fact, the entire patrol wants this boy to be their PL. Is there any particular issue with a boy holding two leadership positions at the same time?

I have had that same exact situation in my troop for 3 years now and it was not a problem.

It just hinges on if the boy can handle both responsabilities and carry both out without doing a disservice to the other.

I have had three different boys do this and all performed admirably. Could be I got lucky though. Just be sure to keep close tabs on him and ask frequently if he needs help.

This works well for the den chief position because all the den chief work is totally apart from the rest of the troop activities. If a boy can handle it, why not let him try? Of course the parents have to be ready to get the boy around to a second set of meetings.