The first thing that came to my mind was to "Be Prepared." By this, I mean to do all the necessary preparation before the trek begins.

Way back when I was a scout, we did a fair bit of backpacking. Usually, there would be several backpacking trips building up to a long trek. For example, May would have been a five mile in/out trip, June a seven/eight mile in/out trip. Then in July a nice 20 miler. Finally, the 50 miler would come in August. Maybe we'd just do a 10, 20, 50; like I said it was a long time ago.

I don't remember fitness ever really being a question. We were pretty active kids though, not much TV, no computer games, etc. I don't remember any fat boys in the troop at all, not like I see frequently now. It really is more important to just get used to hiking the distance and knowing your equipment. You need some real life experience on the trail with your equipment to get confidence and to figure out a menu that will work.

I guess, what I'm saying, is to be prepared, you're going to have to do at least a couple backpacking trips before the trek to get the kinks worked out. If all you've done is car camping, then you may want to do a "car camp" that only uses your backpacking equipment. This would simulate the real deal in a controlled environment. You need to really do it though, i.e., no chairs, no ice chests, no duffle bags, no big griddles, no patrol boxes, no trailers, no pillows, no whatever you won't pack. This needs to go for everyone too. No faking it.

Good luck and have a great trek!

SWScouter

I echo SWScouters comments. Do a simulated backpack trip on a car campout, do some smaller backpack trips to weed out the non-performers. My addition to this discussion is to indicate to the scouts that those who cannot perform or are underqualifed ( out of shape, new scouts, lacking skills, etc. ), will be required to bring a parent on the trip. That way, you don't have to turn the whole group around should there be a problem with a single scout.

185, you are making a lot of assumptions!

I wouldn't bring an unqualified adult on a backpacking trip. The same rules that apply to the scouts would also apply to the adult ( out of shape, lacking skills, etc ). An adult backpacking for the 1st time would fall under the 'lacking skills' category. ( but I probably wouldn't ask the adult to bring their parent! :-) )

I also wouldn't likely bring someone who didn't want to be there. That would probably be worse than someone lacking skills.

The point I'm trying to make is that not every activity is suitable for every scout. Newbies could have a lot of problems on a week-long trip, so the point of all this is to limit the participation to qualified scouts.

btw - we also do short backpack trips, 1 or 2 nights, 3-5 miles, for the newbies, so we can teach them the skills and ramp them up for a future week long trip.

I think it is important you do a shorter, "shake-down" cruise type of backpack trip, earlier in the summer. This could be a two or three night trip and the objective is to test equipment, try out food or recipes, and see just what type of weight Scouts and adults can carry in their backpacks and sort out what is necessary from the rest. Best of luck, I think a trip like this can be something the boys will remember all their lives.

asm206,

Does your troop do any regular hiking? (I hope!?)

Between now and the "Main Event" I would suggest a ten miler with day pack or no pack, then couple of ten milers with day/weekend pack on first hike, and a loaded (weeks worth)pack on the second...evaluate and make "changes" as needed.

Basics, -water source? carry it or filter it and purify?

-Food/ meals, calories per day.

-emergency "evac" locations for "drop-outs"

-shelter alternatives

- first aid at least one or two wilderness

first-aid trained 'medics' and many medic

kits with lots of mole-skin and tough skin,

-back pack stoves and fuel (should be of same

type-you can cannibalize).Know how to use.

-stove maintenance kits and basic repair

skills...several scouts should be able to

disassemble and repair your stoves.

-transport/shuttles.

you didn't say the distance you plan on covering or the terrain, but for your first full week hike you might consider a fifty miler...10 or less miles per day is a pace most "rookies" can handle.

good luck and let us know how it goes

anarchist

Lots of unanswered questions. You say you've never done anything like this before, but do you backpack at all? It's quite a jump if you haven't. What type of program are you doing? Planning your own, using a guide/outfitter....?

I can't overemphasize the need to do some shakedown hikes. If you haven't done any, do so asap. Start small. Do a few miles, camp and a few miles in. See how the guys like the adventure of camping without the trailer, showerhouse, "real" food, and all the conveniences of car camping.

Where do you plan to do the trek? The answer to this question will help determine the details of preparation. I agree with the 'shakedown' idea. You have ample time to plan this well and to be well-prepared. Therefore I think you are headed toward success. August? Could be a perfect time for this in the right climate.

August is a hot month no matter where you live (you didn't mention where you will be treking?), and burning calories under a load will increas the body's heat load.

Thus, you will to have to take into consideration also hydration, and rest breaks.

Remember too, that water is heavy (about 8lbs to the gallon), and you'll need to plan menus that will provide additional fluid intake...

I suggest pre arranged food/water caches to cut the weight, and to maximise the fun....maybe you could get a few adult volunteers to serve as trail angels in this reguard....

If your looking for a first time backpacking high adventure trek I can highly recommend the High Knoll Adventure at the Blue Ridge Mountains Scout Reservation. See http://www.bsa-brmc.org/pdfs/forms/camp/camppromo/hk.pdf

Our unit participated in this adventure this past summer and had a great time. We covered 45 miles or so in 5 days and had an opportunity to participate in activities at each camp we stopped at similar to Philmont. Scouts and adults had a great time.

We had not done any backpacking for years and to get ready we did a couple of short overnighters, 1-2 miles away from the vehicles to get scouts and adults used to living out of thier backpacks. We also did a 2 night, 15 miler that really gave us a feel for what we were to expect. The one mistake we made was allowing a scout who did not make the long shakedown hike to come on the trip. The only reason he we allowed it was his father came along. The scout did not benefit from the lessons learned on the long shakedown trip and it showed the first day of the trek. In retrospect, we should have insisted he attend the shakedown hike. We had another scout that struggled on the shakedown. He and his dad made a point of doing a couple of additional hikes on their own to get ready for the trek and that scout did fine.

There is good advice in the posts above, but the High Knoll adventure is an afordable, pre-packaged backpacking excursion that is easy and affordable to arrange. It is also a safe way to introduce scouts to backpacking, always having the resources of the two base camps on the reservation within a few miles.

Good luck. We were in your shoes just a year and a half ago and now have a core group of scouta really hungry for another high adventure trip.

SA