winter campout clothing

You should be able to find insulated/fleece lined nylon snow/ski pants for around $20 in a Sports Authority/Modells/Dicks/[insert your local sporting goods store here].

The ones I found are definitely not name brand, and that's why there were $19.99. Very warm, and it even has useful cargo pockets on the outside. They are also waterproof. I haven't found much need for breathable snowpants. I even went skiing in them last year, and it was fine.

--Gags

Our troop camping equipment list specifically states "No cotton clothes on winter campouts". I don't believe the packs are inspected for cotton clothes. There are, however, mandatory pack inspections for any scout less that 1st class.

Where are you located? Here in Western New York, most boys already own "snow pants." They can also be purchased at thrift stores for about $4. These days the thrift store racks are full of $3-$4 fleece sweatshirts. If you are going to be outdoors for an extended period, a pair of non-leather insulated boots is the most critical article of clothing. These are cheap in thrift stores too. In our area, thrift stores sell winter clothing year-around, so there is a bigger selection in warmer weather.

Sometimes we arrange a Saturday "New Scouts Patrol" caravan of automobiles and drive from thrift store to thrift store looking for used winter gear.

We also strongly encourage packing polypropylene ("poly-pro") long underwear year-around, and require it on all summer backpacking and canoe trips. It helps cut down on the whine-factor when clothing and sleeping bags get wet.

It also eliminates the necessity of wearing a sweatshirt over the Scout shirt on chilly mornings at summer camp flag-raising ceremonies.

As far as "full dress uniform" goes, for automobile travel, indoor cabin, and some outdoor winter conditions, we use olive-drab nylon "zip-off" pants (our "Troop Activity Uniform"), see:

http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/bdu.htm

They can sometimes be purchased new for about $20 at large discount stores or Campmor, and sometimes show up at thrift stores. They work well as a shell over a poly-pro and/or polyester layer. They dry quickly but are not "water-proof," of course.

Some of my Assistant Scoutmasters are against Scouts wearing Uniform shirts on campouts except for travel, and they are certainly not an outdoor winter shirt, but I always wear one when cabin-camping, and sometimes the Scouts follow my example. Most of them purchase them from me for a $5 or $10 deposit, so damage is not the concern it seems to be in most units.

As far as pack inspections go, we only have such "shake-downs" for campouts too remote for parents to come pick up their whining cotton-wearing son. The Scouts know they are not supposed to wear cotton (especially cotton socks), but we use regular monthly car camping to let them learn through experience what wearing wet cotton feels like, and why we have a rule against it.

Kudu

Sorry I was being obtuse, that was my failing. I was just interested if the troops have relaxed uniform "standards" based on the cost of the items. It seems there is often a disconnect between the uniform being too expensive because troops have "economically disadvantaged" membes but the standards of equipment seems on the higher end of the scale.

Just a thought,

Winter wear pants:

Remember your layering-

INNER LAYER- comfort, wicking

- acrylic pajamas, thermal long-johns...

- poly fleece 'sweats' or other no-cotton fleece pants can be inner and mid layers at the same time!

MID-LAYER- warmth, insulation

- thrift shop wool suit pants- preferably winter weight

- poly fleece pants, no-cotton sweats

OUTER LAYER- water/wind/abrasion resistant

- wool suit pants, tight weave

- nylon pants or shells

- Tyvek protective clothing (OK, hard to find, but works great!)

Shopping hints:

- Thrift stores! Look in the suits and women's sections. A lot of women's PJs, etc. are made from great non-cotton materials. Dye the stuff navy or black if needed to cover floral patterns.

- Military surplus, especially dress uniform pants. Often a nice, heavy, tightly woven wool or wool blend

- Acrylic is useful for cheap bulk. It is not nearly as good as wool, fleece, silk, etc., but it IS cheap and can be quite warm.

OR make'em yourself. Simple drawstring pants can be made from cheap warm blankets.

My experience with scouts and winter camping, is that once you get them out of cotton pants (ie. bluejeans) the biggest issues are footware, gloves/mitten & hats. Someone always seems to lose, or not bring a pair of gloves and some scouts refuse to wear hats until their too cold.

Our typical pre-winter outing inspection consists of a visual once over. Are they wearing boots(not sneakers) and can they show us at least one decent pair of glove/mittens and a hat. If they have those, and they're not in bluejeans, they're good to go. Have never had to send a scout home to get a winter coat or parka, but several times for a hat, or a missing glove.

SA

I found insulated bib-overalls work well (Carhartt for example). Also, hunting stores have a good, albeit sometimes expensive, selection. We give the following to our new Scouts -

Cold Weather Tips

1. The boys must stay warm to have fun. Staying dry is critical! Camp outings are NOT canceled due to rain, snow, etc.

2. As little cotton as possible. Cotton retains moisture.

3. Dress in Layers. A Windproof/Waterproof outer layer is important.

4. Nylon is not good for pants on horses or through the bush (easily rips).

5. Multiple pairs of wick dry wool or similar synthetic socks. It is especially important to keep your feet dry and warm.

6. A good sleeping bag is a must. If the bag says it is good to 20 degrees expect it to only be good to 30 degrees at best. Mummy bags are warmer than rectangular. A good barrier between the cold ground and the sleeping bag is VERY important. Cots, mattress pads, or simply a blanket under the sleeping bag will suffice. Sleeping bags can be doubled up if necessary.

7. Polypropylene long underwear shirt and pants are important. One set is for day wear and one for sleeping in is a good idea. It is important to change clothes including underwear, before getting into your sleeping bag. Clothes worn during the day retain our body moisture and can cause heat loss at night.

8. Two pairs of footwear is a good idea. Hiking boots and maybe winter boots depending on conditions. Footwear should be water resistant.

9. Fleece is good. Fleece is not cotton, it is a made of an artificial fabric such as polyester.

10. Two knit hats. One for sleeping, one for day wear.

11. At least two pair of gloves. One heavy and one light works best.

12. Hand warmers. They are chemical and last about 8 hours. They get VERY hot. It is important that the boys know they MUST be wrapped in something (like a sock) not next to skin. Jerry's suggestion was wrap one in a sock and throw it into the bottom of your sleeping bag before getting in.

13. Dress in layers, layers, layers.

Depending upon how cold it gets, this is the layers I'll usually wear:

1. Polypropylene long underwear

2. Poly/wool or poly/cotton pants (depending upon temps)

3. Lined, nylon warm-up suite pants (serves as a moisture barrier as well as provides some warmth).

4. Snow/ski pants as an outer shell.

We teach our guys the COLD principle. It's a little simplistic, but they can remember it:

C - wear ©lean, appropriate clothing. Dirt takes away insulating value. Appropriate - less cotton, more poly/wool/fleece.

O - avoid (O)verheating. Pick the right clothing for the activity and adjust as your activity level goes up or down. Sweating is a big no-no in winter survival.

L - dress in (L)ayers. Absolute must. And is a key to avoiding overheating.

D - stay (D)ry. Avoid stepping in water or getting wet, wear moiture barrier if it's raining/snowing. Of course, overheating is one of the main ways to get wet, so remember to adjust those layers.

It is important to change clothes including underwear, before getting into your sleeping bag.

If they change their underwear after getting into their sleeping bags, all of the muscle movement will help warm up their sleeping bag.

Damp poly-pro left inside the sleeping bag will dry out during the night.

Kudu

I know I will sound woefully uneducated, and in the matters of winter camping I am. But I have a couple of questions before I buy winter boots/coat/hat/mittens for Nephew. Chillout is February, but winter is a lot earlier than that here in Maine.

1 - Why no cotton?

2 - Boots? Thinsulate? Felt liners? A combo?

3 - Coat? Down? Fiberfill? Hooded?

4 - Mittens? Gloves?

5 - Long underwear and shirt?

6 - Ski pants? necessary?

Now for regular life here I'd buy in a hooded parka with thinsulate type poly material in it. His boots would be felt or otherwise lined, but those are wicked heavy...fine for walking down to the schoolbus and tobogganning, but not necessarily for camping. My mother still knits mittens for him and that's fine for home, he can change a half dozen times, not practical for camping. It would be easier to diaper an elephant than to get him to wear ski pants or long johns.

I'm hoping to only have to buy one coat and one pair of boots this winter, so any direction will be most appreciated.

YiS

Michelle