Two Boy Scouts rescued from Nevada's Ruby Mountains

Two Boy Scouts rescued from Nevada's Ruby Mountains

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3724263

Aug 15, 2005, 4:36 PM

Two Boy Scouts were rescued by helicopter from the rugged Ruby Mountains near Elko after one literally wore out his shoes and another suffered from exhaustion and dehydration.

Scout leader Andy Cole summoned help Sunday afternoon after 17-year-old Scott Mills lost the soles of his shoes while hiking the Ruby Crest Trail.

The scouts were 40 miles into a planned 50-mile hike.

After determining Mills wouldn't be able to walk out, the troop discovered an 11-year-old scout was ill.

A pilot with El Aero Helicopter plucked the boys from the 9,000 foot level and flew them to safety Sunday night.

The younger scout was met by his parents at the hospital, where he was treated.

Interesting. The headline made it sound like the boys were in some kind of danger. The older boy had an equipment (shoe) failure, and after 40 miles the younger boy was under the weather. Although it is sad that they didn't get to finish their hike, it doesn't appear that this is another "scout tragedy".

Is it standard procedure to take an 11-yo mountain climbing to 9,000 ft or more?

I'm not sure why you assume they were mountain climbing. From the article, they were in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada doing a 50 miler. I know that here in AZ, I can (and do) go camp in the White Mts. at 9000 ft and look out at a herd of elk browsing on the rolling hills, no shear cliffs in sight. I see no reason why the Ruby Mts. would be any different.

I don't mean to sound rude, but here in the Rocky Mt. states, the land is just higher to start with.

SWScouter

Too much for an 11 year old or not, the press headline makes it sound like a life or death tragedy was averted! It wasn't a life or death situation! A hiker's shoe gave out & an 11 year old got sick! Nothing more!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed

I'm sorry, but the story doesn't sound like that at all to me. The headline was "rescue", not "tragedy averted", and the story itself covered the event fairly well without providing any comment on the situation. There wasn't any opinion on whether they were prepared or anything like that. Not every press story is yellow journalism.

From the pictures and description provided in the link on the two women hikers, this looks like a potentially really good high adventure trip.

Not sure how the 17 year old blew out his footwear, however I do question the wisdom of bringing an 11 year old on such an outing.

Glad to know no one was seriously hurt.

SA

The Ruby Mountains are in Northern Nevada about fifteen miles South of Elko. I have never hiked or camped there, but I did have occasion to drive into the Ruby Mountains from Elko up the one paved road into the mountains from that direction. It is a lovely area and I didn't see anything that an eleven year old couldn't handle other than the length of the trek.

After hearing about this on my local news I called my brother.He is a SM in Spring Creek (Elko) area. Yes I was very concerned from the news report my boys and I have camped with his troop.We have even hiked parts of this trail with his troop.The boys we're not climbing mountains,they were hiking. While it is roughed it isn't a trip that a younger scout can't make. My youngest son now a Webelo has been on this trail and did fine. They were with the troop.The "rescue" was because of concern for the younger scout and the heat.The fastest way to get to someone on this trail would be helicopter because of no roads.After talking to my brother I believe this is more "yellow journalism" then not.