How to get more "uniforms"

Before anyone posts a reply saying this is in the wrong forum and I should be posting this in the Uniforms forum, please read carefully.

Currently, I am the only adult leader that wears the uniform on a regular basis. Although we have a troop committee that is quite active (I think we have great committee support for a small troop), I have no active ASM or other "uniforms" to help me with the week to week running of the programs. I've mentioned to a couple of the dads in the troop that are there on a regular basis (we have several) that I felt they would do a good job as an ASM, but they seem very reluctant to "make the committment". Parental participation is not a problem in our troop. At our last camp-in last weekend, we had five Scouts (out of eight) attend and each one brought their dad for at least one of the two nights. With myself, we actually had more adults than Scouts at one point.

How do I get more adults interested in becoming a uniformed Scouter and taking a more active role? We have training coming up, and a couple of the dads are talking about joining me for it. As our troop gets larger, I'm going to need more help on which I can count on a weekly basis, especially since I believe each patrol is supposed to have an ASM assigned to it to act as an advisor.

Well, training is a good start. A couple more ideas...

I'm not sure how "involved" these dads are, but have them to have a mission for the troop. Giving them responsibilities and unofficial titles can help ease them into ASM-ship. Helping boys to plan an outing, serving on boards of review, etc. can help out.

Tell them you need them. Just go up to them and say that you need uniformed adults to help set an example for the boys. This "show of need" can be influential.

Just two ideas, the second one wasn't the best, but it worked for our current committee chair...

Enjoy.

The only difference between and active Scout parent and an Assistant Scoutmaster is the uniform and being registered (hopefully BSA training too.) The big kick is making them realize that.

Most parents think that there is some mysterious hidden responsability lurking around the corner that will jump them if they commit. But really folks, can you honestly think of anything that a parent who shows up at meetings and goes on the occasional activity isn't already doing?

I have found the best way to get these folks active is to ask them to do specific tasks after a while ask them to be ASMs. I have a dad who is an electrician. I asked him to teach electricity merit badge. He did it and the boys (and He) loved it. Then I asked him to teach fishing MB with the same great results. Then I asked him to be an ASM. He looked at me and said why. I told him "Well, you are doing the job already. You are mentoring boys, teaching skills and attending campouts. We might as well recognise you for all your hard work."

Mr. Long has a great point. They are already SA's. Just pull one of these dads aside and tell him what a great job he is doing. And to show him how much he is appreciated, you would like to honor him by granting him the right to wear the uniform. When the rest of the dads find out, I'll bet they'll start jockeying to be next dad to be honored!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if your "active committee" members are registered (which they're supposed to be), the they can (read should) wear the uniform and the patch that says committee member. Our Pack subsidizes the cost of the uniform shirt for all adult leaders. Maybe if you buy it, they'll wear it.

I like FScouters suggestion too. Make it a reward! Everyone will want one.

When a new scout joins our Troop, one of the goals we stress for the parent is to take advantage of a unique opportuinity to spend time with their son in a non-parental environment. The parent(s) are told that for the first year, they are invited to every event/activity/outing we have, without taking part in the management of the Troop. The Scout is introduced to Troop structure for all their questions and instruction, and the parent stays on the sidlines. Nobody asks them to volunteer for anything, commit to ASM or Committee or anything else. This provides time for everyone to get comfortable with each other on many levels,(Scout/Troop/parent/adults). Invariably, the parents step up to become part of the team. By not putting the bite on them for the first year they can learn, without fear of commitment, that we are good people, and that we provide a positive environment for their son. That is something they want to be a part of. They put on the uniform (or at least parts of it!) without hesitation.

Works for us.

In addition to all the good ideas above, you might try to get some information about your District and Council Training Committees. These committees are composed of both professional and volunteer Scouters, and their job is to schedule and provide training at their respective levels. You might be able to get some of them to come to a troop and/or committee meeting to assist you in explaining to the adults in your troop what training is all about, and how valuable it is. Many adults view training as something that creates an "obligation" on their part, and they're just a little scared of that. Having those who do training as their job on your side might give a little more leverage with your folks.

Look for scoutmasters from outside the parent body. Dads can make great leaders but teenagers need role models who are not family members so that they can compare.

Having said that most of our leaders are, in fact, mums and dads. Yet it seems the leaders who hang around the longest are not.