Our troop does not participate in very many fun and challenging activities causing my son to be bored with scouting. We would like him to be enjoying lots of fun activities such as hiking, boating, etc. Our scoutmaster is overweight (over 300 lbs) and I think this may be the reason why not enough of these activities are planned since he is unable to attend. Do you think it would be okay for our son to encourage his patrol to do some of these activities on thier own as long as they have two assistant scout masters come along? His patrol consists of physically active boys who would enjoy more challenging activities.

I would remind him about the patrol method. Patrols should be ENCOURAGED to have there own activities to build up their ability to work as a team. According to the Patrol LEader Handbook, patrols should have thir own activities. It should be the SPL and the PLC who are responsible for planning campouts and troop activities. Patrols should plan their own things.

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with planning an occaisional activity that would be open to the whole troop and let them in on the fun as well. I understand this might be more work and you don't say how big the troop is, but from my experience, planning for 20 - 30 isn't much more work than planning for 8.

You don't need to do it frequently, maybe only once a year. But once the other patrols see and experience what you're doing they may start making their own plans.

SA