Hello All,

As senior patrol leader i have been nominated to put together a campout for webelo's 1st and 2nd years.

We would appreciate any plans you may be able to share with us.. please pm me if you have any plans and i will send you my email address

Thanks,

251scout

My sons troop conducts an annual Webelo campout. The Webelos and their parents stay in a big cabin while the troop camps out nearby. They roast turkey and have a big feast Sat. evening. Skits are always a tradition. The older boys have refined one skit that become a command performance at summer camp.

During the day the troop breaks up into workable groups and each patrol leader is in charge of a portion of the Readyman Badge. Late in the day leaders take all the boys on a short, about 3 mile, hike just before dinner. This allows the troop to finish up supper. The Webelos come back tired, hungry and settled down for the evening.

we have a webloes ( weblos 2) campout in March, right before they cross over. we campout at our local scout camp, in cabins. Usually parents dont attend, unless they really want to. friday night, we sit around and play games until dark, then we go and do a snipe hunt (loads of fun, and if sombody thinks this is hazing, please dont get me started). about 9:00 pizza arrives, and we sit around the fire eating that. saturday, the scouts cook breakfast, and arter clean up its time for capture the flag. after lunch, we either play more capture the flag, or we play a game of the weblos choosing. saturday night, the adults cook us a garbage can turkey along w/ the "snipe" we caught friday. saturday night we play card/board games, and just chill. sunday we have breakfast and then pack up and go home.

Thank you for all of your ideas.. they will help is in planning... I am going to attempt to make this a district event to... i like to plan things on a large scale!

Anyone know of the procedure for getting things to be a district or council event??

troop251scout ... check with Unit Commissioner, then try your District Exec or any of your District's Key 5 (the folks that the District's helm). They may already have an event planned for this (Webelos Woods, Webelos Transition Campout, or the likes). These usually are held in the Sept - Oct and then Feb - March timeframe. Your troop could participate by hosting an event or two there.

Now as for your troop, I would recommend that your troop has its own campout that you could invite the Webelos to see how your troop functions and operates. In a District Webelos campout, there are a lot of activities that are catered to the Webelos. The purpose for the Webelos to campout with the troop is to actually immerse themselves into the troop routines so that they can evaluate whether or not this particular troop meets their expectation. Having said that, it can also be done at a District's campout as well. A troop campout has a different program and feel to it than a District campout.

Good luck,

1Hour

You District Executive would be the person to talk to, especially if you plan on getting any funding from your council.

Here is the link to BSA's info on a Council/District Webelos-ree:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-238/index.html

It is very good & covers a lot of things, many of which are helpful even for a smaller scale event.

One thing to keep in mind, even if you only have the Webelos camp with your Troop, they are still Cub Scouts, not Boy Scouts. They should only be participating in activites geared for Webelos, not Boy Scouts. Make sure you are following all BSA guidelines for camping & activites for Webelos. This means, amoung ather things, that the Webelos parents should be there & be involved.

I'm glad that your troop wants to do this, I think this will be very beneficial for both the Webelos & the Boy Scouts! I would talk over with the DL's what Webelos activity badges and belt loops/pins that the boys have earned & plan it around what they haven't earned or have started to work on. If they haven't done the Outdoorsman, Forester, Geologist, Naturualist, Readyman, Aquanaut (depending on the weather & time of year), to name a few, you could have the boys work on them! The Boy Scouts could teach the Webelos knots & lashings, how to pitch a tent, how to start a campfire, how to cook (they could do foil cooking). Go on a nature hike, take them to try fishing. Make sure that the Webelos do for themselves as much as their age & ability & the G2SS will let them because this will prepare them better for Boy Scouts. At the campfire all the boys can sing & do skits! You have endless possibilities to prepare something that the Webelos will have a lot of fun AND learn new skills & earn badges, etc. & prepare them for Boy Scouts. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

Judy

When my boys went camping with the troop as Webs they were split up between the two patrols. They helped with the chores. The main meal was foil cooking and they prepared their own packets. The Boys Scouts did put them in the coals and checked them. But they helped with clean up and everything except lighting the fires. They had a ball and it made them truly feel like they were becoming a part of the troop. When we crossed over they set them up as a new patrol. They already had a head start on understanding how the patrol worked.

Don't do it for them, help them do it for themselves.