We also actually encourage Scouts and Scouters to bring camp chairs for most of our outing. They are now availabe for very litte money and many are very light weight.

Course all but the lightest would not be practical for backpacking.

I see no reason to ban camp chairs or stools for most Scout situations. I supposed teaching Scouts on how to make a camp gadget chair is ok but is that practical for every campout. I think not. We do have a rule that you can not sit in another's chair without permission. That prevents arguements. Actually the rule it to not touch or use anything that is not your own, without obtaining permission of the owner. Common sense - at least to us.

I have several camp chairs and stools, including a very light chair and a light stool that I have carried backpacking. Years ago I either sat on my poncho on the ground or on a log. Neither are very comfortable and most camps have been stripped of nearly all wood that is not actually live.

Maybe a good alternative would be to have Scouts make one of those portable collapsable wooden camp chairs. I have seen plans to them on the net. I am not sure how long they hold up though.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just come back from a week on the CHisholm Trail Adventure, and a week of sitting on logs, stumps, rocks, etc. PLEASE! Bring me a chair! This old body and back ain't what it used to be!

I always take a chair and most of our guys do, too.

Comfortable folding chair for the short hauls and a Crazy Creek for the long ones. Crazy Creek worked great at Philmont last summer. Place in back of the pack (up against your back) to pad the bulky items during the day, provide some lower back support in campsite, then lay flat under torso part of Therm-a-rest to pad rocks/roots at night. I trimmed all the excess weight I could, but this 1-2 pounds was well worth it.

I say bring chairs! I bought myself & my son folding chairs with those mesh cupholders in the arm from Wal-Mart for around $7.00 each. They come in a carrying case & can be slung over your shoulder.

My son & the other 7 boys in his den received as a graduation gift from the pack when they crossed over to Boy Scouts & lightweight hiking stool that folds up & has a strap to carry it. I was searching websites to find a gift for the boys & that's how I came across this forum! I found the stools on the Campmor website & since it was too close to the B&G to order them, the DL who's also the CM picked them up at the store in NJ; he happens to work in NJ so it wasn't out of the way. They were only around $7.00 to $8.00 each. Mark is going to summer camp on the 17th & he'll be bringing his hiking stool.

Judy