As long as they're willing to carry in, unpack, repack, and carry back out, I don't have an issue with chairs. Those compact lightweight outfits they have now are quite comfortable, and easily toted by even first year Scouts.

You know, you'll always run into the doctrinal purist who doesn't think we should use anything B-P didn't have. I guess we'd better leave the LED flashlights at home...

KS

I agree with Korea Scouter. I often bring a folding chair myself. My only beef is that I rarely find the time to sit in it.

Decades ago, I used to go backpacking and climbing with the Mountaineers, a climbing club. I was used to getting up at 4AM, hiking all day, gulping down dinner at night and doing it again the next day.

Then I got involved in Scouting and the boys taught me you could enjoy living outdoors at a leasurly pace and have good food too. The idea had never occurred to me!

I'm just not sure where the leisurely pace has gone in the past decades. Then again, I can't believe how much harder the ground is now to sleep on than it was twenty years ago.

Seattle Pioneer

We actually encourage the Scouts to bring their chairs to summer camp. And the adults bring theirs, too. Beats sitting on those picnic tables all the time!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I think if you are car camping they are fine if you have the room. I don't take one personally but I don't have a problem with them if they are willing to carry and take care of them. Backpacking and canoeing are another matter. Again if they can carry them and their share of the gear, I think that is fine but if they after make more portage trips or don't have room for their share of the the equipment it is another story. I personally like to pack light and only take what is needed for the outing.

We have cheap folding, carry in a bag type chairs in all 3 cars that we use to watch his Nibs when he plays soccer.

I think they were cheap!! Under $10.00 anyway.

I also have a light weight chair that you can use with a Therm-A-Rest pad, I need a seat where I can lean back. This thing is very light but was expensive about $30.00

Eamonn.

Those things have the potential to create muchas problemas. Check you troop's official list of banned items for guidance. Or the troop bylaws. Deal with this now before some kid's character is ruined.

I say bring the chairs.

Just back from our week at summer camp. 18 in camp. Picnic table held eight max. Boys also had a number of program areas with no chairs (or logs). Would be a hassle to sit in wet grass and mud on a rainy day.

There was an out of council unit at camp whose boys all had matching camp chairs constructed with two boards. It's been a while since I've seen those used so widely.

Bring it On! Or bring THEM on ... the trip to camp that is. As long as they can carry them from the parking area to the campsite along with their pack. Yes, chairs promote camaraderie and can be moved when the smoke is blowing right at you versus the log that is sometimes present as a the only place to sit around the campfire. Our SM brings a collapsible something that folds out into a lounge chair and even has cup holders! But he is so energetic, he doesn't spend much time in it!

I'm with nldscout! We encourage boys to bring their own chairs. Why? Because if they see one without a hiney in it, they sit in it. I bring my chair to sit in because I'm prepared, I don't provide seating for others. Of course bring chairs......what else are you going to sit on? One of the things I like least about camping is lack of comfort. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect luxury accomodations and I can rough it for 48 hours with the best of them. I just want a place to rest my weary bones from time to time. I have joint problems from my neck to my ankles and standing on my feet all day long in camp gets really old really fast. I don't really find the camp chairs very comfortable, but they sure beat sitting on a log.

Practicality is the better part of camping.

Example: Bring a book if you will need it or have time to read it, if not, then leave it.

The three basic goals for any camping are: stay warm, dry and comfortable.

A person carries out of camp what they carry in to camp, if you can't; don't bring it or stay at home.

These are a few ideas for an inside-out approach to plan for camp.

FB