This has nothing to do with scouting, other than the fact that PETA doesn't like scouting. So it is fair game, so to speak, to post this interesting tidbit about PETA's attempt to thwart Ohio's deer hunting season. Run Bambi run!

PETA Attempt to mess up hunters - backfires

PETA Fails in Attempt to Thwart Hunters Assoc. Press (Columbus, OH)

If you are familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), then you are aware of the fact they will do almost anything to protect animals. This year's efforts to save Ohio's deer from the annual statewide gun season has backfired.

For safety's sake, hunters in Ohio are required by law to display at least 400 square inches of hunter's blaze orange on their person when in the woods. Capitalizing on the fact that hunters do not usually shoot orange, PETA recently bulk purchased blaze orange vests and have been affixing them to live-trapped deer in Youngstown suburbs. According to PETA spokesperson Katie Reese, a total of 405 vests were successfully put into circulation prior to this week, with additional specimens still being caught and vested.

Youngtown entrepreneur Guy Lockey, of Guy's Outdoors has spit in the face of PETA by offering rewards for the returned vests this week. Hunters who can successfully bag a vested deer can pay $5 for random and biggest animal awards. As of Tuesday, 308 of the vests had already been recorded as bagged with most of the hunters registering for Mr. Lockey's drawing.

"It's so easy, you can see them coming a mile away" said one first year hunter after checking in his first spike buck.

ODNR officials are worried that the poorly thought out plan by PETA might get somebody shot instead of saving the deer. "Hunters have turned their plan upside down, we're just hoping that nobody gets hurt and are hoping that none of the vested animals get tangled in brush" said an unnamed ODNR official. "PETA has really outdone itself this time." Ohio's statewide gun season is open to shotguns only and is scheduled to close on Saturday.

Thanks for the interesting post. I don't know how I missed that news since I grew up in the Youngstown area and still live about 60 miles from there. As a non-hunter, I usually skip that section (hunting/fishing) of the newspaper. I guess I need to call up some old friends still living over there to see if they bagged a vest.

Um I thought I heard last night on Fox News that the whole thing was a hoax. Can anyone confirm this? the poorly thought out plan by PETA might get somebody shot instead of saving the deer. I believe this was more their intention than saving any deer, if there were real human death they stand a better chance of furthering an anti-hunting agenda. OK OK conspiracy-theory/Off.

This could be a hoax. When I went back to where I found it the story had disappeared. A perfunctory source of Associated Press items also could not locate it. Still there is some entertainment value.

This appeared originally on "Bowsite", a web site dedicated to bow hunting. There is one hint at the apparent hoax that I noticed but ignored. That is the statement at the end that the gun season is limited to shotguns. Naive trusting soul that I am, I thought it too good to pass up.

Many years ago in gun-dog training; the animal right people decided it was inhumane to use live birds for field training dogs. Until this time most retriever training used live birds (mostly ducks), and very seldom were there birds injured or killed. PETA went to court to insist that if this training would not stop the birds must be humanly treated. Now we must kill the birds, this was the agreement reached in court. If anyone tells you that PETA helps animals they are less than truthfull.

I have always thought the concept of "treating animals humanly" was interesting. Shouldn't we treat animals as animals instead of humans? By the way, when did animals get rights? I must have missed the vote on that one!

PETA also stands for People Eating Tasty Animals!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

PETA went to court to insist that if this training would not stop the birds must be humanly treated. Of course they miss the concept that using live birds gives the dog better training. The better trained the retriever the better the hunter is in conservation, if you find all of your downed ducks you are harvesting less out of the environment. If you lose some in the field and take your limit youre taking more game than you could have. This is a simple concept I would think even the dimmest of the PETA bulbs could grasp. Ive done mainly hunt tests and a couple field trials with my dogs and all of the ducks and pigeons used are domestically raised for this purpose.