Shoebox (ultimate survival) campout

In another thread, good ol' Semper introduced the idea of a "Shoebox" campout. The idea for this "ultimate survival" campout is that the scouts bring everything for the weekend in one shoebox - food, shelter, everything except water.

I mentioned this to our PLC last month and they were all over it! Because our May waterskiing had to be postponed to July, we had a calendar gap and they quickly voted to make May our Shoebox Campout.

None of us have ever done this before, and so now I am asking for ideas and advice. What works and what doesn't?

I'm a bit concerned (only a bit) about the new Scouts who will have been on only 2 or 3 overnights by then - they don't have many of the basic skills yet. But, the May weather will be great!

This is going to be totally fun!

What works? A big shoe box - size 14s are better than size 9s.

We had some boys decide to go solo - pack their food, space blanket, etc in an individual box. We had scouts in a couple patrols decide to split it up - one box had all their shelter materials, a couple of boxes had all their food. In the end, I don't think it matters - there is only so much space.

Just about everyone had a cheap space blanket - those that didn't made a ground cover out of natural materials. There was a couple of kids that cooked using sterno, but most of it was dry food (we did cheat and have water coolers available so that at least no one became dehydrated).

A few people were smart enough to glue some padding to the bottom of their boxes for use as pillows. The lid makes a good tray, cutting board, rain shelter, fan, frisbee, etc.

Our activity that weekend was an innertube trip and historic site visits.

Have fun!

The youngster that lives in my house mentioned that boots (as in the cowboy variety) come in a pretty good-sized shoebox. So a size 13 pair of Ropers might have a box large enough to hold most anything!

Now, I have to wonder, what about the guys that wear those "cargo" pants that have enough pockets to carry another shoebox full of stuff?

I would say to stop by www.equipped.org and review some of the ideas for survival kits.

It is an excellent source for ideas about what needs to be in a survival kit as well as superior equipment reviews. He designs kits as small as an Altoids candy tin up to suitcase sizes for lifeboats.

Check out the 7 essentials list. From there add to fill your shoe boxes. I would recommend:

- Poncho, military(Tent, tarp, sleeping bag, rain protection)

- Space blanket

- Duct Tape

- Firestarter (Disposable lighter, BSA Hot Spark, tinder)

- Knife

- LED Headlight or flashlight

- Metal Cup (boil water, cook food, cook pot & plate)

- Spoon

- Rope (1/8"x50' braided nylon or 550 paracord)

- First Aid Kit

- Food

• 4 weeks later...

Trevorum,

While talking about this a bit with my (non-

outdoorsy) sister, she mentioned that a cell phone and some cash would fit quite nicely in a shoe box. So - how close is the nearest pizza delivery place to your campground, and how far of a hike out to the road to meet the pizza guy?

Not that *I* would do something like that...... just a funny thought.

Bug