Went there two summers ago and did back country and communitee campground camping.

I could go back every year just to see new parts.

When you arrive scout out a ranger and check when the best time to see wolves are. When we were there it was early in the morning in the North-East corner of the park in Lamar valley.

The hike to the Yellow Stone river along Deer Foot trail(?) was really neat as you started in open countrty and ended at the river in thick forest.

The only animal we didn't see was a pronged sheep. All the rest wolves, grizzles, elk, moose, coyote, deer, buffalo we saw.

What are you worried about?

Places to see? (See it all!)

Places to camp? (Most campsites that aren't wilderness are just public sights, and as those go really depend on those sharing your campground)

How to get around? (Do you want to see it all a little, or see a little of it in detail? One way says get a car, the other says get a wilderness pass)

You want to stop by the Wolf Reserve in West Yellowstone (outside of park, seperate admission, zoo like setting... cool place)

Fun? Oh yeah... Scout camps close, oh yes (check your Council's version of the National Camp Directory) Look for camps in Wyoming, or Montana.

My best advice? Get away from Old Faithful complex (after you visit there... You are going to check that area out right?) Get off the paved roads and have some fun in the dirt ones. This is a GREAT place, BUT you HAVE to get away from the TOURISTS... Have fun!!

As it turns out YoungSpikedEagle and I will be going to Yellowstone this year. Have your troop check out the following link

http://www.nps.gov/yell/videos/index.htm

It features video and photos in the park, it will give them a taste of what they will see, plas they have a wonderful video on camping in the backcountry as well. Let me know what you think of it

Been there many times, starting in 1957. The activities are many and a week hardly touches it. After you see the thermal areas with all the tourists, there are plenty (gazillions, technical term) of trails of various lengths. There are day trips and there are extensive backpack trips. My favorite is to circumnavigate Yellowstone Lake, taking side trips up a hill or two. There are lots of others as well and, depending on the actual dates you are there, you could easily find solitude.

The Canyon area is ripe with all sorts of trips, including short horseback rides. And if you head a little north of there around Roosevelt/Tower you may be able to get in on some more extensive horseback trips. You will have to make reservations in advance for much of this so you need to check it out online. Here's a link:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/horsride.htm

A lot depends on the interests of the group. Yellowstone is my favorite place of all time for a long solo (Cascades coming in a close second).

The bear situation is greatly improved over what it was way back when but you still need to be prepared (needless to say). Have a great time, I'm envious.

Like Packsaddle, I've been going to Yellowstone for a long time. Since 1970, I've probably been there 15 times at least. I actually prefer Grant Teton Nat Park, which is just to the south of Yellowstone, because it is usually less crowded, but Yellowstone will certainly be a highlight for anyone who loves the outdoors.

In contrast to some other posters, I'd say don't avoid the tourist areas. This will probably be the 1st trip out there for many of your Scouts. You can always go into the backcountry, but Yellowstone has things that no one else has. See them, even if they are "touristy". Check out the visitor centers, go on the ranger led hikes. Do not skip Old Faithful even tho it will be crowded; the Geyser Basin can keep you busy for days, and some of the longer hikes there will let you see things with no people around. A couple of years ago, we hiked to one geyser that only erupts about once every 8 days, and we just happened to be there to see it; actually shoots higher than Old Faithful. Go to places like the Fountain Paint Pots and the Mud Volcano. Visit Yellowstone Lake; fish. Go up to Yellowstone Falls, the drive up goes through areas devastated by the fires; it's amazing to see how they've recovered. Most summers, you can still see snow up there. It is an amazing place, and will amaze your Scouts.

If you have the time, drive down to Grand Teton; it's all part of the same entrance fee, so it won't cost you anything more. You can take the hike up Cascade Canyon, which starts with a boat ride across Jenny Lake. If you want to take a long walk, it's 15 miles, or so, round trip, up to the head of Cascade Canyon. You can climb up Paintbrush Divide and look back down the canyon; a very impressive site. I was in the canyon a couple of years ago, and there had been an avalanche that took down big lodgepole pines like matchsticks; the Scouts will be impressed, and that's only about 2 miles or so up the canyon. Shorter walks up the canyon will take you to Hidden Falls, and Inspiration Point, both very nice spots and good "starter" hikes. Depends on what your troop is into.

And, if you crave civilization for a day, take a drive into the town of Jackson or the ski village at Jackson Hole. In town, have lunch at Mountain High Pizza Pie; in the ski village, have lunch at the Mangy Moose. You can take the Gondola to the top of Rendevous Mountain and then hike down; about 7 miles, I think.

I was actually thinking about taking my troop out there next summer. Let us know how it goes.