Camporee at West Point

Our Troop has attended before... i used to have a link to a site which you could apply on.. i will look in my old files to see if i still have it...

The whole event is really amazing... The hike in is kind of long but you get to talk to people going to the academy along the way..

Hardest thing is to have a person who is attending west point who was a member of your troop. If you don't have a scout attending west point you can't go. PERIOD

We have had two boys attend West Point, so during their time we were able to attend.

It was great. Now we have no one and can't go.

I demand equal time!!!

US Naval Academy NESA puts on a merit badge jamboree every year. A very good event.

They also have a "sponsor" requirement, but not sure if one can be assigned vice having to have come from your Troop. I'll try to find the website and post it later.

Go Navy! Beat Army!

USNA '81

Perhaps its changed in the last four years, but I am not sure where Mich632 gets the information. When we went in 2000, it was basically a lottery situation - you send in your unit application (by January I believe) and you were notified of selection (March). We were selected and had no scouts attending the Academy. I think they did give preference to units that have not attended in the recent past. Again, maybe its changed since then. The cadets are great and more than made up for the cold and rain.

As Eagle1973 notes the USNA Jamboree is really good too. It is in January of each year and especially has top notch merit badge offerings in the sciences.

• 2 weeks later...

VMI (Virginia Military Institute) in Lexington Virginia had a similar program except it was invote only. Our troop took a tour and had this bonfire for a campfire. Best part was that evening when Keydets took us out to play capture the flag in this giant pasture, teaching us tactics and such, WE GOT THE FLAG UTIIZING THE LEFT FLANK!!!