10 things I learned at Philmont

Alright, folks. I've been gone for a while, but now I'm back. I went to Philmont this summer(awesome experience-I highly reccomend it), and now have a list of ten things that I learned at Philmont. So, without further ado, here it is:

Ten Things I Learned At Philmont

10. Water is measured not in quarts or liters, but in Nalgenes

9. Just because the dad's nice doesn't mean the kid is

8. That Therm-a-Rest is well worth the weight(pun entirely intended)

7. Any health problems are caused by not drinking enough water. If you twist your ankle, you're not drinking enough water.

6. If you find a two serving package of chocolate cheesecake in the extra food box one morning, it's worth carrying it to eat with supper that night.

5. Fifty four pounds isn't that heavy

4. Pound cake is good.(You'll get it if you've been)

3. I don't miss technology when it's not around(Okay, so I already knew that. Still, it was confirmed)

2. It is the experience of a lifetime, with memories and experiences that will be remembered and shared for years to come

And the number one thing that I learned at Philmont is(drumroll, please):

I wanna go back!!!

Justin B

Crew 609 G1

Philmont 2004

Here's a few that come to mind...

1) Bears love bit-o-honey bars, especially when you leave them in your backpack instead of the bear bag!

2) When the wind rips your hat off your head on top of Mt Baldy, it will fly forever before it hits the ground. (It was kind of sad watching my faithful cap disappear in the distant sky.)

3) There's nothing more relaxing than sitting on the porch of a staff cabin, sipping hot cocoa on a rainy day.

4) The girls all look prettier in the back country. (This was back in the day when there were very few girls in the back country!)

5) And, another one for the old-timers. That Textrox Trots stuff ain't a legend (as my dad found out).

On the trail, the rain will end as soon as you stop, unhook, put on your rain gear and pack cover, hook up again, and start off. Corollary: The rain will START as soon as you put away your rain gear.

In camp, as soon as the bear bag is lifted and secured, you will discover one more smellable.

Realize that before you throw a frisbee off of Mt. Phillips, your Scoutmaster will tell you to retrieve it.

Grumping in the woods isprobably the most comfortable thing known to man...until you realize you left your toilet paper back at the camp, and are forced to use pine cones.

Doing jumping jacks atop Mt. Baldy is a quick way to a heart attack or stroke.

Walking off by yourself affords you many interesting things...like getting yelled at.

Those Toughman contests have nothing to do with how tough you are; merely, how loud and obnoxious your group can scream in approval of your story.

If you are with Order of the Arrow, you get alot of benefits...namely non-powdered food.

If you've got something valuable, scout camp or not, stay close to it.

Foot Tag will take up a majority of your day.

Running down Mt. Baldy in loose-fitting hiking boots leads to painful pocket blisters on your heels.

There is pretty much no way to win at Mountain Ball.

On the train ride back, it's completely socially acceptable to sleep in the overhead racks in your sleeping bags.

Don't listen to Rangers, as they don't even know what they, themselves, are talking about most of the time.

Chapstick is definitely not just for girls.

When I was there as a kid (I was there with my parents but too young to backpack - it more like a summer camp) I got what seemed at the time like a near fatal case of chapped lips. It was really really bad.