Propane vs. white gas

Any thoughts, suggestions?

My son's troop is looking to replace its old Coleman camp stoves. The SM is strongly in favor of more white gas stoves, his main reason being that propane won't burn when it's too cold. But here in the southeast, I don't really think that's a problem. We were out a few weeks ago in 18 degree weather, about the coldest we get around here, and my own propane stove worked just fine.

Personally, I think the safety of the fuel is reason enough to go with propane. I also like the ability to run mutiple stoves and lights off the same cylinder.

I suggested we have the PLC study the subject and come back with a recommendation, but was looked at like I had something hanging out of my nose.

I would go with propane. We get along with propane fine here in New England and that includes some below zero nights in the winter. Butane on the other hand is another issue. In fact our council summer camp does not allow the use of liquid fuel stoves or lanterns because of the safety concerns.

The only exception to the above would be if you do a lot of backpacking. The propane cylinders can be heavy and bulky compared to carrying small bottles of liquid fuel.

But there should be no problem using propane in cold weather unless your headed to Canada in January or February.

SA

Just to play devil's advocate ...

The G2SS states in bold: The use of liquid fuels for starting any type of fire is prohibited.

Now what constitutes a fire vs. a flame? Does the rule prohibit white gas? Well, the same document talks about the use of liquid gas stoves and laterns. Just another example of confusing BSA regs?

From a safety perspective - go with propane.

Gas over liquid ANYTIME !! Even when backpacking.

I have never, ever filled a liquid fuel stove or lantern without getting some of the fuel on my hands or clothes or the ground or a table or whatever. The safety issue is huge, but the cleanliness issue is just as big.

and that's my 3.5 cents.

Troop here recently converted to propane. No problems so far. We also keep white gas lanterns and stoves for use by the leaders and scouts. This is to provide an opportunity to teach the proper use and care of this type of fuel and stoves. Propane is easier to use, but it never hurts to know how to use white gas.

yis

Acco40

G2SS says fires not stoves...as in girl scout water for starting fires...most of the BSA back packing literature has pictures of the coleman peak 1 (or two) stoves which are white gas....BSA DOES NOT PROHIBIT WHITE GAS USE.

I have five white gas / multi fuel stoves and I have to say, you couldn't get me to buy a propane stove...

Our troop uses 8 propane stoves and 20 gal. canisters and does mostly car camping...they take little 1 pound canisters on canoe trips or rely on charcoal... and they have one old coleman white gas back-packing stove.

For peace of mind the propane stoves are winners around boys but if one 'breaks down' on a camp...it is dead for the weekend, they are not as field repairable as the white gas stoves... and if you don't read the box you end up with a set of 8,000 BTU instead of 10,000 BTU burners...all propane stoves are not equal...

TWOCUBDAD, A question though...why are you looking to replace them? I have three two burners ... the newest one is 20 years old oldest is 35 years old....just not sexy enough????

foto...drink less coffee and your hands won't shake so much and you will spill less fuel! Like I tell my son be patient and don't try to fill the darn thing to the top! (won't pressurize if you do)

I grew up using the white gas lanterns and stoves but was always leery of them, especially with the flame up problem. Even as an adult I bought and used them. It was almost like a right of passage to have extra wicks and parts all stored in a plastic box with a chain hanger. The stoves were pretty neat also because they box-up like a little suitcase and are great for storage. All of this magic stopped one cold winter night...

White gas needs to be banned from Scouting or people like me, so I have gone the other way. I will only use those little charcoal briquettes or candles, or bring extra batteries, or anything other than go back to those highly explosive personal terror devices.

Enough of that!

FB

We use a mix of stoves depending on the Scout's skill level. Beginners use propane backpacking stoves because they're idiot proof. More advanced scouts get to use MSR gasoline stoves filled with no lead after some instruction, they also learn to convert the MSR to kerosene and try it.

I am just waiting for the conservation people to start jumping up and down about the little disposable propane cylinders. They are totally one time use items. This greatly increases costs, weight, and waste from using propane for portable applications. Also, refilling the small cylinders is unsafe and in some cases illegal. Recycling of the things is also a no go in most cases. The only dangerous situation I have ever been in involving flammable materials was a Coleman lantern on a hoze connected to a 20 lb tank. The seal was loose and the next thing we knew the hoze was on fire, and the lantern was inside a small fire ball. Made life a bit interesting for a minute or two.

Butane there are some similar problems. Also, butane doesn't offer bulk options.

White gas is a good choice for cases when you need something portable. If you can lug a 20 lb. tank there is no need, but if you need something smaller or lighter, white gas is a good choice. If you do much packing and can only get one type of stove, I would go with white gas.

Unleaded fuel is really not a very good choice, at least in my opinion. The only people I have ever known that got hurt with a stove it involved unleaded gas. The stuff is very volatile and it produces funny fumes.

Kerosene I have only used in old wick type lanterns, so I really can't say much about it.

My personal stove is a Coleman white gas stove. I took it to Philmont, I use it on troop camping trips, and I use it sometimes when we need to heat something in a pan while cooking on the gas grill out back. The thing works nicely. Sure a bit of fuel is spilled now and then, but I have never had a problem with either safety or sanitation. You just have to think a bit (jee, this stove is covered in fuel, I wonder if I should light it?). My troop also owns a couple of the white gas backpacking stoves. The normal troop stoves and lanterns are propane, but they are only used for car camping.

Actually, the propane canisters can be refilled. Some troops are doing that. We haven't as of yet. I understand that you only get about 2/3 of it refilled. It involves putting the empty canister in a freezer, and then refilling it from a large propane canister. If anyone has the exact specs and actual experience doing it, I'm sure they'll share.

I agree with everything posted so far. I used white gas stoves/lanterns for years and went through all the problems and crankiness with them. Several years ago we switched to propane and I absolutely love it. For static camping it is the only way to go. It's easier to use, safer, and cheaper. We use the 20lb tanks and have bought the hoses, adapters, and tees to be able to use them even on a device that has a bottle fitting. For backpacking I would say use the white gas stoves.

On the topic of refilling the cannisters, I've done it. Cableas sells a device that screws on the 20lb tank and you then screw the cannister on it and open the valve for 1 minute. It does seem to work better on the name brand cannisters from Coleman than some of the others. We keep several of the small bottles for emergency use and for use when we first set up and haven't broken out the big tanks yet.