The Proper Time to Awaken

this was spun from cheffy's comment on Buglers competing to awaken the troops at district events. This is separate from when the Troop is alone out in the woods. What time is ok to start making "noise"

Pesonally if I was at a multitroop event and some eager beaver of a bugler (say that fast three times)woke me up at 5;30am or thereabouts with a rousing rendition of whatever, I would not be a happy camper. I was always been lead to believe 7:00am was reville, what do you guys think ?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Personally, I like to be up before then, but at a group camp 0700 is a reasonable hour.

But I'd also like to ask, how do you get that one last sleepyhead out of his tent? After the PL has tried and the SPL has tried, what do you do?

I remember at summer camp several years ago we were bivouaced in BSA canvas wall tents. We slept on cots.

One night there was a terrific wind storm. The guy lines were creaking and debris was crashing into the tents all night long.

Next morning, our sleepyhead was still asleep on his cot, with the entire canvas tent collapsed on top of him! He never even woke up.

We know who the late sleeper is...our bugler is always strategically positioned next to his tent for blowing revielle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If no movemnet, a little tent shake is employed. If still comatose, his tent buddy is sent in for some friendly nudging. When all else fails, the smell of frying bacon usually gets him going.

And here is where the OLD in greyeagle comes out, but what do you do with those who can't stay in the tent till 700am? But must busy themselves making a fire, or starting to cook which i dont mind, but dont be rattling the pans at 6:15am or am I just being grumpy, ( no offense intended Grumpy)

Being a female type - like to be up on the early side - I'm ussually "washed up" and lookig for a cup of coffee - before the guys are up. Last year at BSA summer camp out unit shared a lare site with an out of state troop. I was the only scouter staying all week , was considered the SM for the week. at my suggesstion the SPL managed to get our scouts in tent a fairly quit at a reasonablke hour. The other troop was noisy almost all night. A visit to thier sSM and SPL did little good that father and son pair were thge loudest. I got up my usuall time and worked to get the boys up by revelie - I had to laugh when I saw that out of town SPL sleeping outside. seems like when he finally fell asleep he rolled right out of the cot, of to the wooden platfor m and out of the tent. Couldn't budge him. That whole troop missed fllag ceremony but not breakfast and got a stern talking to by the camo director.

spinnaker

Understanding the physiology of young boys helps. One of the problems is that older teens are on a much different circadian rhythm than the adults for sure but also from the younger boys.

I've noticed on troop campouts the SPL and ASPL (tending to be in the older group) are sometimes the last to get up. However, often they are the last to retire. I've got a few SAs who insist that everyone get up once they are up. I can't fathom this reasoning. If a patrol wants to eat breakfast at 7:00 AM or 9:00 AM that should be their choice. I have two sons in our troop. One would prefer to sleep to noon (14.5 yr) , the other can't wait to begin the new day (12). As SM, and a late riser, I usually go to bed last on Friday evening. Before I do, I check with my SAs about who will be getting up first. I have one who somehow is asleep in his tent before most even figure out he is "missing." It is usually well ahead of the boys. He like to get up early so I give him that opportunity.

Boys also need to learn responsibility. Once, during Webelos Woodlands (I was at the time both a SM and a WDL - I don't recommend it) the Webelos Scouts were all out of their tents and rarin' to go. Our two den chiefs were sound asleep. Breakfast was served at the mess hall. The den chiefs made the decision to skip breakfast and sleep in. Now, being somewhat devious, when our den returned from breakfast (it was now around 9:00 AM) the DCs were still asleep in their tent. By this time I asked the Webelos to wake them - and they complied with glee.

For an outing where a schedule has to be met I meet with the PLC and ask them what time they should retire (quiet time, lights out and into your tent may all be at different times) and when they should arise. I then hold them to that schedule. Another example of letting the boys determine the rules.

At many of our camporees cooks roll out at 6:15 (depending on what they are serving)SPL and PL's decide this)

most boys are rolled out at 7AM...

As chief cook for the adults (at many events) I have the percolator preloaded and on the stove when I hit the sack. Morning comes for me at 6 (usually) and I roll out, fire up the stove, put on a water pot (cocoa and cleaning water) and start the charcoal (if needed)... then head to the head....where is that dratted newspaper!

A little while back I posted that I thought that my 16 year old was sleeping too much.

I have to admit to being very much an night owl and not at my best early in the morning.In fact I resigned from the Council Membership Committee because they started having breakfast meetings.

I can get up at whatever time I need to be up and will go along with whatever the program is. I'm just not at my best. On a day off when there is nothing pressing I'm happy to stay in bed till 9:00 or 9:30.

When we had both of the restaurants running I rarely got to bed before 3:00 AM.

On my ever lengthening list of pet peeves I have added people who think that there is something virtuous about getting up early. No, that's not true it's the early risers who tell me that I have missed the best part of the day, that really get to me.

At the 2001 Jamboree, we had the misfortune of having a troop from Philadelphia, next to us. They had a female, African-American Leader, who at 6:00 AM, on our first morning ran around yelling "Rise and Shine, Rise and Shine" The next day she added a frying pan and what I think must have been a metal spoon which added percussion to the chant.Our Scouts thought it was funny and they started greeting each other with yells of "Rise and Shine".

Those who know me well are aware that I do have a big yellow stripe down my back. So in true British tradition, I sent one of the ASM's over to tell her that this early morning noise had to cease. She was very nice about it and did stop.

Depending on the program, I think 7:00 or 7:30 is fair.

What to do with the Lad who likes to sleep in?This is a tough call. I have heard reports from people in the OA and the JLTC Scoutmaster that they have had problems getting OJ to get up. While school is in, the school bus picks him up at 6:55. His alarm is set for 5:55 AM,and he is up and about by 6:15. A lot of the time because of soccer, track or the school play, he doesn't get home till 6:00 PM or later. I think that is a very long day, longer if he just comes home eats and then is off out again.

I do see the need for people to be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there. Most people are a little bit like me they will be on time if they know that there is a need. So it comes down to communication. We need to let everyone know what is happening and why they have to be up and ready for whatever. Getting them up, should just be a matter of calling and maybe a gentle shake. Making a big deal about it, adding water, having a gang carry the Lad out is not the way I would go about it. If the Lad is habitual about sleeping in and this is causing problems for the activity,Patrol, or Troop. A one on one (Within the rules of the G2SS) would be needed, maybe to find out if there is a reason.

We tried to find out why OJ was such a sleepy head at JLTC, the only thing we could come up with was that he was taking allergy pills. They were marked non-drowsy. But talking with friends who are MD's they say that different people have different reactions to different drugs. Of course if he doesn't take them he doesn't get a good nights sleep. So it is very much like a rock and a hard place. Knowing that there could be a very valid reason, I think punishing is out of line. Cleaning latrines should be done in a manner that is fair,not given to a Lad who might very well be suffering from a medical condition.

Eamonn.

Wake up has always been 7:00 AM. Friday nights are usually tough to get the younger Scouts to go to sleep. They're wired from the school day. The older Scouts are usually the first to ask to go to sleep right after the camp is set up, and inspections have been made by the SPL. Saturday nights take care of itself. After the campfire and program, we play a fun physical game (Capture the Flag or other similar games). Everyone comes back to the campfire, warms up, and off to the tents.

Once in a while we get Scouts that just can't settle down in their tents. I inform them that as long as I receive no complaints from their neighbors and they stay in their tents, they could stay up. I tell them that 7:00 AM comes around whether they've had eight hours of sleep or three.

As far as the Scout not getting up on time (assuming he's not skipping out on his cooking and/or clean up duties), he forfeits his meal. If he's still in bed after breakfast is complete and the Troop is ready to start its programs, a parent is called for a pick up. No fuss, no muss.

sst3rd