Hosting Visiting Troops

Does the troop you are with ever host other troops so they can experience an outing to a local destination?

For example, you are in Boulder, CO and your troop likes to hike 14,000 foot mountains. Have you ever had a troop from the flatlands of eastern CO join you for a weekend campout and hike?

Our troop goes to the MN Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness often, on our own, and I wonder if it would be a good experience to have another 'remote' troop join us some time. Maybe not a good example, since they could use Northern Tier, but there are many other places that I expect local troops take for granted and other troops would love to visit.

Paul

(This message has been edited by mn_scout)

What a great subject. I like the Northern Tier idea but what makes that difficult, not impossible, is the max limit of eight man crews.

However, one of our Philmont crews, which can be much larger, invited another local troop and they had a blast. Between that and taking two dads who had never camped with thier sons before, this crew had a wonderful experience.

Our Troop has planned and organized a few Troop-o-ees. Same as a camporee except it is one troop inviting a few other troops to compete for a fun filled weekend. We did a night time Trooporee theme, also a lot of fun. I found this experience advanced the maturity of our boy run program more than any other troop activity. We invited Troops from Texas, Kansas and other Oklahoma Councils. The other troops had so much fun that they went and planned their own Trooporees, of which we were invited.

This is a really good subject, I hope folks learn more from it.

Barry

Hi! I am involved with a small troop in Michigan, and we are looking to go to Hawaii in 2006. Is anyone here associated with a troop from there that could give us some info? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

While serving as a Scoutmaster in England,the troop camped in Holland a lot. We became very friendly with a Dutch troop. The leaders became great mates and we would visit each other for non Scouting events. It worked out really well.

When we visited Kandersteg we would meet up with an American Troop, stationed in Germany their Leaders were experts on climbing and mountaineering. Again the adults became good mates, in fact I had some of them over for my wedding. When the troop visited America, our Lads spent a week living with American Scouts.

Right now I'm working on trying to get an exchange program off the ground with the Venturing Crews in our District and a group in the UK.

It really can be a win - win situation. We did have a few problems with a Swedish group that came over, we let them use our camping equipment and they left it in a bad state, I think the fact that it rained most of the time didn't help.

I was talking to a friend of mine in the UK about the HOHO (Home Hospitality)for the 2007 Jamboree in the UK, he tells me that they are having a slight problem. The Scout Association wants all the families that will be hosting Scouts to have whatever the British youth protection clearances are before they will allow the families to host a Scout. I'm sure that they will work it all out.

Eamonn.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

My opinion is that if you have some expertise in a particular outing that you have the responsibility to share it with other Scout Troops as often as possible.

My Troop has a great deal of experience with rock climbing and white water rafting, as well as having a perfect venue to share with other group. We have shared our experience with Troops and Crews from Colorado and Oklahoma, and think it as almost a requirement that we help our fellow Scouts. This is an attitude that helps shape our Scouts in the appropriate ways, as well as making them feel that what they have learned is important.

My opinion is that if your Troop has some expertise in a subject, that you should share it and improve the knowledge of as many Scouts as you can. To do less is to simply be selfish.

So, if any of you would be interested in what we have to offer, let me know, and set up a trip!

JB

I know of several troops in the UK that enter into exchange programs with troops from all over the world, including the USA.

Please contact me and I will provide some names of English units that might be interested.

Eamonn.