Has anyone had experience with chartering a sailboat and captain where your troop acts as crew? I can find plenty of sites online (some feature a theme, such as Pirate Cruises, with accompanying skills/games), but I always like to hear from people who've been there, done that and can tell of great companies or ones to avoid at all costs. This is for a Senior GS troop.

Thanks for any help.

Wishboat

• 4 weeks later...

For two years we have taken a week sailing trip on a 53' steel ketch owned by a local British yachtsman. We pay him about $1000 for the week and feed him. We are in the middle east so liability issues are less of a burden, this might not be possible in the states with lawsuits and such. Before the trip we have two day sails on 26' boats to learn technique, 2 evening navigation sessions and an afternoon cruise on the big boat.

John D

• 1 month later...

Aye, lots of options out there Wishboat. Take heed says I. Best fill yer sea bag with knowledge of crewing before signing on with just any scalawag.

Depending on your location you might be able to arrange an introductory cruise or even a charter on Sea Scout boat. In So Cal we have access to Sea Scout Bases in Long Beach, Newport, and San Diego. (Aye, the Argus out of Newport made national news last year with the rescue of a marooned diver off Catalina Island). For general sail charter info on a family friendly site, check out the message forums and skill sessions at: www.sailnet.com Another youth organization you might investigate for a charter is Top Sail.

Fair winds and a following sea.

Lok