I have a question about keeping warm in tents in the winter. My pack started "Extreme Camping" last year in January and wants to continue this as a yearly event. I didn't attend last year. I was the Tiger Den Leader and no Tigers attended. Since I am going to be CM next year this is something I will have to do if we are to continue this as a yearly function.

The problem is that I am very cold natured. If only one person out of a hundred gets cold it is usually me. How can I stay warm and keep my own children warm (currently a 7 yr old wolf and a 5 year old sib)? I know someone here can tell me what to get as you all have more camping experience than I do. I just want to be warm AND safe. No burning down the tent.

Kristi

I am impressed, some troops don't do what you are doing. The key is layers and good equipment, whether its fleece, wool or what have you, the secret to being warm is the right equipment and the time to test is not on the event. As things get cooler experiement with combinations of layers and get comfortable taking off and replacing layers as you heat up and cool down. A big fluffy parka does no good on a child if it makes him sweat while he is running around amd allows him to freeze when he sits still. People aren't born master campers, they learn from experience, just don't let your first experience be the campout

While this may sound like a fun thing, winter camping is not allowed in Cubscouts. Winter Camping is only allowed in Boy Souts or Venturing.

See the G2SS, Age Appropriate Guidelines,.

It takes a proper training and equipment to take youth out true winter camping. With the proper sleeping gear and equipment you won't need heat in the tents. Besides that Heaters are prohibited in tents on Scout activities.

I agree with the Old Grey one, in that it is amazing that Cub Scouts want to do this. However, I feel obligated to share a word of caution. Winter camping is not recommended for anyone younger than Boy Scouts. Check out the age-appropriate guidelines:

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/ageguides.pdf

Now, it's been said, these are guidelines, and not policy. However, if something bad were to happen, you would possibly be on shaky legal ground in case of a lawsuit.

If you decide to go ahead with it, send me a PM, I'll forward some winter camping tips we share with our boy scouts.

HEE HEE HEE, and the winter camping I was talking about was about 40 degrees, shows how cold natured I really am. :-)

Our winters are mild here highs in the 50's lows in the 40s. Does this mean we aren't allowed to camp anymore? Leave it to me to stumble into a wrong practice.

Kristi

You call 40's winter camping??? We camped in that just two weeks ago. Actually, you still should take some precautions at that temperature. You're not in any real danger, but you can certainly have an uncomfortable night's sleep if you are not prepared.

Dan, Are you questioning my honesty? It got down to 38 degrees weekend before last. It was awfully hard getting out of the tent Sunday morning. Especially for the two "unprepared" boys who only brought shorts and short sleeve shirts. They'll be more prepared next time.(This message has been edited by EagleInKY)

Calling it "Extreme Camping" doesn't make it so. We had a day camp that was called "Rocket to Outer Space" to the best of my knowledge no one actually went. What are the conditions the cubs camp in, and what kinds of activities are they doing? That way we can better evaluate whether the program is appropriate for Cubs.

Since this is Cubs, I assume you have a BALOO trained person and the Council has approved the camping area and trip, you probably would be ok. Although the interpretaion of winter camping is up to your council.

On another note, last years Klondike up here in the Adirondacks on Friday night is was minus 38 at 5am. Great winter camping weather!

Our Extreme Camping (waiting for the echo to die down) is really rather tame. We camp at an approved KOA camp ground (actually just a half a mile from my home) and do a few activities. Our Webelos get to prepare a meal and the others get to help with meals. We have 2 Baloo certified people. We camp in tents and do a big fire with lots of campfire activities. Maybe earn a belt loop or two. Not really that extreme. The kids think doing anything outside in January is extreme and I just get cold easy. ;-) I call it Winter Camping because it takes place in January.

Kristi

In answer to your original question on how to stay warm.

Good equipment is a very good thing to have. Also more insulation under you than over is called for. A head covering of some sort is needed also, since most of the bodies heat is lost there. Either a cover built into the sleeping bag or some sort of head cover that you put on should do the trick.

Do not wear the same clothes in the sleeping bag that you wore during the day. The moisture that the 'day' clothes absorbed will be translated to the bag and through evaporation through the bag will make it colder.

Hope this helps.

yis