Banned/Discouraged Items Camping

I am just wondering how your units handled banned/discouraged items at camp? (Other than illegal items or items specifically banned by the BSA).

Our unit basically does not care what a Scout brings to camp as long as it is not banned by the camp or BSA and as long as it does not interfere with camp or unit activities at camp. Most Scouts bring the absolute mininum anyway. We figure that as long as the items brought by Scouts are not illegal, banned, interfere with unit operations, or violate the Scout Oath or Law or BSA policy, it is their business what they bring on campouts - not ours. We are after all trying to encourage them to be responsible and to plan and think a head.

Some units ban or restrict the following items:

Drinks other that water (I suppose this is meant to ban soda pop) Camp chairs or stools (one troop expects them to be made in camp as camp gadgets)

Electronic items of all sorts (pagers, cell phones, radios, electronic games, TVs, etc)

Book or magazines other than BSA published

Rain suits (they want the Scouts to use ponchos)

Games of any type including playing cards

"Toys"

Lighters

Matches

Knives

"Large" flashlights - not sure what that means.

Drugs or medications of ANY kind including over the counter items(prescribed drugs are handled by unit leaders)

Candy, snacks, gum

And many other items.

Some units actually have an "inspection" of what Scouts take to camp. I wouldn't want anyone going though my pack or dufflebag!

I know of one unit where all of the members have to have long sleeved Scout uniform shirts, campaign hat, and all of them have the same poncho, flashlight, pocketknife, boots,unit t-shirt, etc. They are generally not permitted to wear the "activity" uniform.

Our unit places a lot of trust in the Scouts. We inform them through the SPL of what the cannot legally take or items that are banned by the BSA or camp. We advise them what they should bring camping and then what is optional. We have never had any problems with cell phones, pagers, radios, etc. We did have a problem for a while with electronic games where a few Scouts did nothing but play the games. The other Scouts got on them for not helping and participating in the unit camp activities. Solved itself.

Most of our Scouts bring as little a possible. I guess they just don't want to carry it. It just has never been too much of an issue.

Among the adults we usually always have at least one cell phone - more for emergencies than anything. Cell phone users are pretty good about getting away from the group when then need to make a call. I always carry a small radio (AM/FM/NOAC) the thing is about 2X3X1" - mostly for weather reports. One adult in another unit has a big problem with my radio - he saw me listening to it while a thunderstorm was bearing down on us. I mark it up as a safety item and leave it at that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above items are permitted in my unit. Electronics must be used within the privacy of one's tent and with headphones that cannot be heard by others. No sheath knives (council rule). Use of knives and matches ok with Totin Chip/Fireman Chip. Summer camp meds must be turned in to health lodge. For other trips, leaders do not handle meds unless parent requests it.

I know of one unit where all of the members have to have long sleeved Scout uniform shirts, campaign hat, and all of them have the same poncho, flashlight, pocketknife, boots,unit t-shirt, etc. They are generally not permitted to wear the "activity" uniform.

IMO, those leaders need to get a life, unless of course, all of those items were donated to the troop for the boys' use.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

You gotta be kidding me. Most of these things are a joke. I agree, these guys need to get a life. We have a simple list:

The following items are prohibited on campouts and troop

activities:

- Electronic devices (radios, games, CD players, cell phones, etc.)

- Junk food (including soft drinks).

- Weapons (including sling shots and sheath knives)

- Alcohol or drugs.

- Offensive materials.

No inspection takes place. If a boy brings his cell phone, as long as it stays off and out of site. Same way with any electronic items.

Junk food rule is because we have a couple of kids that tried to live off of candy and soda and made themselves sick.

Prescription drugs or OTC are okay, but we have to know about them.

Wow! Are you sure you didn't get lost in the woods and wander into the local prison camp?

The only thing our troop out-and-out bans are raimen noodles and Poptarts from patrol menus. :)

Beyond that I'd say we strongly discourage electronics and a lot of junk food. Ban is probably too strong a discription because the enforcement is spotty. If a boy wants to listen to music at summer camp, that's not a problem. If he spends the week with his head stuck to a Gameboy it is.

girlie magazines

swords

gasoline

perfume

flares

teddy bears

mace

beanie babies

sweet tea

lazy-boys (furniture)

mini bikes

go karts

tricycles

poker chips

num chucks

throwing stars

Pokmon

porcelain kitchen sinks (stainless is okay) plastic is allowed but than you have to go find 100' of shoreline to shore it up.

:p

sorry just my strange sense of humor. but i just could not help my self.

Our troop allows portable electronic devices to and from outings only. Once we arrive these items must stay in the vehicles.

Otherwise:

Drinks other that water (I suppose this is meant to ban soda pop): Not Allowed

Camp chairs or stools (one troop expects them to be made in camp as camp gadgets): If they can fit it in their bag, wHY NOT?

Electronic items of all sorts (pagers, cell phones, radios, electronic games, TVs, etc): See Above

Book or magazines other than BSA published: I would never discourage reading!

Rain suits (they want the Scouts to use ponchos): Why, Ponchos don't work

Games of any type including playing cards: Our scouts are really prudent about their use, they are allowed.

"Toys": Huh?

Lighters: Not expressly banned, but those little flint strikers the BSA sells are really annoying.

Matches: Ditto

Knives: Folding Knives only, of a resonable size.

"Large" flashlights - not sure what that means.: What no billy club style flashlights? This one hasn't come up in my experience.

Drugs or medications of ANY kind including over the counter items(prescribed drugs are handled by unit leaders): Prescriptions handled by leaders for the younger scouts.

Candy, snacks, gum: No Way. Well, within reason.

We also do not allow camo. If you feel the need to wear camo go join the Michigan Militia.

I believe that part of the problem with troops having to ban items, is that most troop that I see "car camp". All of the scouts' gear is driven to the campsite for them. If the scouts had to carry there gear a mile of so into camp, they would rethink, what they are bringing to camp. I find myself overpacking because I know it is not a big deal if I do overpack.

only water no BIG JUICE? and to think that 2cubdad said I was pinko commo!

Electronic items of all sorts

Watches? flashlights?

We don't ban a lot:

* Electronics (music or games) - but I did allow a scout to use music with headphones at bedtime on the last campout - he said he needed it to block out the noise and sleep. (Guess we didn't tire him out enough during the day! We can fix that!!) Like others, electronics OK in the car, but they stay there.

* Sodas

* Anything dangerous, illegal, or immoral.

I've been on several cross-country trips with the older guys the last few years. I allow them to provide tapes/CDs to play on the stereo - with the warning that anything I decide is filthy trash will be confiscated and thrown away. Of course, I get paybacks when I play some of my music when it's my turn. On the first day of the first trip, I decided to "educate" them with a sampling from an ancient cassette from the early 70s. To my embarrassment, one of the songs flunked my test, so I popped the tape out and stuck it in my pocket. At the next gas stop, I made sure I was in front of the guys going into the store and quietly threw the tape away where they could see me. "Oh, Mr. F - you can't throw that away - it's awesome!" "Sure I can and I must - it's trash - that's the rule." I've never had a problem they know Im serious.

I also encountered some guys headed to the checkout counter with an inappropriate magazine. (Not Playboy, but bad enough.) Guys I dont think thats appropriate. Gee, Mr. F you didnt say anything about magazines! OK, guys, heres the deal. You can buy the magazine, but Im going to hand it to your mother when we get home. Magazine went back on the rack.

We used to ban playing cards from campouts, but decided they can be appropriately used as a form of recreation during down times (like during rain). But I was surprised when my Philmont crew pulled out a big bag of poker chips our first night on the trail. I couldnt believe they were willing to hump the extra weight on a strenuous trip. But they had a blast holding poker tournaments every evening in camp and got to know members from other crews who came over to get in on the action. I know my old scoutmaster would disapprove, but I monitored closely and it sounded like they were all having some good natured fun. Not the way I would have picked to spend my few evenings in Scouting Paradise, but theyre not me.

I'm with the wise OGE on this.

Looking at some of the lists that some troops don't allow, I think if I was a Scout I would give a lot of thought to forming an escape committee.

Some of the biggest problems that I have had to deal with are caused by Scouts who want to carry humongous amounts of cash.

At long term camps we offered a Camp Bank, where the adults took charge of excess cash. But some Lads opted not to use it. The problems came when they lost their money.

Have you ever noticed when a Scout loses some thing the cry that goes out is not "Hey I lost my underwear." The cry is "Someone stole my underwear."

Eamonn

:) You guys crack me up! (With the SWEET TEA thing)

Here, I have only heard of banning gameboys and walkmans or at least confining them to one's tent, and like some others have said - only on an as needed basis.