Banned/Discouraged Items Camping

I'll have to throw my hat in with OGE....about the only things that I don't want to see is punchos and accordians.....

Now, about that sweet tea thing - before you know it, the next thing you Yankees will be putting the kybob on will be Pecan pie.....;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Troop, falls into the OGE and BW camp.(No pun intended.) I can't say we have had any real problems. In the evenings during down time scouts will play cards or somtimes privately listen to music. For the most part scouts don't seem to bring portable electronic game systems, they seem to understand they don't fit the activity. Scoutmasters sometimes play cribbage.

Needless to say, when we backpack, this cuts down on many of the "discouraged" items.

So far we havn't had issues with portable DVD players, but I'm sure that will happen sometime in the near future. Hopefully they will fall into the same category as portable electronic games, items the scouts themselves discourage.

So far no one has brought a pool table. We all know what kind of trouble that can cause.

Regarding "Sweet Tea"... Since it is now after Labor Day, most of the Restaurants here in Boston no longer serve iced tea of anykind.

I look at the "rules" below and have to wonder, what boy led troop came up with these.

SA

"Drinks other that water (I suppose this is meant to ban soda pop) Camp chairs or stools (one troop expects them to be made in camp as camp gadgets)

Electronic items of all sorts (pagers, cell phones, radios, electronic games, TVs, etc)

Book or magazines other than BSA published

Rain suits (they want the Scouts to use ponchos)

Games of any type including playing cards

"Toys"

Lighters

Matches

Knives

"Large" flashlights - not sure what that means.

Drugs or medications of ANY kind including over the counter items(prescribed drugs are handled by unit leaders)

Candy, snacks, gum

And many other items.

Some units actually have an "inspection" of what Scouts take to camp. I wouldn't want anyone going though my pack or dufflebag!

I know of one unit where all of the members have to have long sleeved Scout uniform shirts, campaign hat, and all of them have the same poncho, flashlight, pocketknife, boots,unit t-shirt, etc. They are generally not permitted to wear the "activity" uniform. "

I don't think we ban anything outright, that isn't already prohibited by the GTSS or public law.

I agree that long lists can turn everyone involved into "barracks lawyers" -- "...it wasn't on the list, so why can't I bring it?...". I'd rather have them use their judgment, and exercise restraint on when/how they use what they bring. Many of my lads bring cards, little gizmos, or small board games, which they use during free time. If they've got their faces buried in their Game Boys during the flag ceremony, however, we now have a problem. Doesn't happen often, and they generally police themselves.

We do occasionally conduct pack inspections. For TF, there is the requirement to appear before your leader, properly equipped, etc. Plus, for backpackers, we want to make sure the younger lads are bringing the right gear and perhaps more importantly, not bringing the wrong gear or packing incorrectly. We had a first year Scout on our last backpacker pull a mallet out of his pack to drive his tent stakes in. I don't know how we missed it, but we did get a chuckle out of it, considering all the large rocks out there that served the same purpose...

KS

We don't really ban anything. Electronic devices are discouraged. They can use them in the vehicle. I think some may use them at night when they go to bed. We had one kid who complained about the frogs one night. I thought to myself, "man, that is why I'm out here". I find the sounds of nature soothing. I have an idea that this kid probably goes to sleep with the sounds of his Xbox at night. We have banned pop. Powdered mixes are fine. Raiman noodles are out. There was one kid who was too lazy to even heat the water and ate them dry. Sorry guys, you have to cook. I don't have a problem with books during down time. Magazines, hmmmm. Games are fine. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. I'd rather see them engrossed in a book or using their brains engaged in logic and strategy with a game than being bored and coming up with stunts to pull. One rule we have recently established is no more than two to a tent.....ever....period. I won't go into details, but we had about 6 boys in a cabin tent a scout brought and they ended up playing truth or dare. We didn't find out what happened until about a week after the campout. The SM said we have dining flies with tables for you to congregate at if you want to play or visit during down time. Tents are meant for sleeping and shelter. The only people who need to be in them are the people bunking in them and they only need to be in them when we are not doing program activities.

• 8 months later...

If I were in charge of a Boy Scout camp, I would gladly allow radios, CD players, MP3 players, walkmans, cell phones, and other electronic devices. I see nothing wrong with listening to music or talking on the phone while hiking, fishing, canoeing, or doing other activities. IMO I think that scoutmasters that ban electronic devices are doing so just to be cruel and mean.

The only things our troop bans (besides BSA bans) is electronics, most games, anything that causes a ditraction, soda (except on special occassions, like with pizza),and coffee (except for the adults :) ). we wear pretty much whtever we want. we also eat whatever we want , if we have enough money to do it. we also carry sheath knives on fishing activites,but only then. after the fishing is done, back in the bag they go. as far as meds go, the adults carry prescriptions, and the older scouts are allowed to carry pver the counter drugs, such as tylenol, advil, ect. they have a lot of trust in us.

we also wear camo, but not in excess. usually only when playing capture the flag, or other games like that. occassionally a boy will wear camo pants, or a camo shirt, but that is ok with us.

Lighters?- they are a way to start a fire. as long as a boy has a fireman chip (or chit' which ever it is) why not let him carry one?

knives?- also BSA approved. they come in really useful. even look in the BSA handbook, they are reccommended. we dont let boys use them if they dont have their totin' chit' on them.

matches?- same thing as lighters.

"If I were in charge of a Boy Scout camp, I would gladly allow radios, CD players, MP3 players, walkmans, cell phones, and other electronic devices. I see nothing wrong with listening to music or talking on the phone while hiking, fishing, canoeing, or doing other activities. IMO I think that scoutmasters that ban electronic devices are doing so just to be cruel and mean. "

if you let boys carry cell phones, mp3 players, and cd players while they were hiking, or in the outdoors, what do you think they would get out of it? the Sm's ban it so it doesn't cause a distrction to the boy, or to the other scout around him. if he doesn't bring it, there also isn't any chandce that any one can be accussed of stealing it.

just my 2 cents

We have a policy on items that can not be brought to camp.

If it requires a batters it better be a flashlight.

No cell phones, electronic games,

I know some people say boys should be able to bring phones in case of emergencies. Well guess what. 99% of the kids I see with cell phones are playing games on them.

The adults all have phones and if a parent needs to reach their son all they have to do is call one of us.

No food. There is a really good reason for this.

Food in a tent attracts ants and other critters.

Sodas. Sodas do not replace lost moisture from the body. They are full of sugar and will in some cases actually make you dehydrate faster. We take lots of bottled water and Gaterade.

Knives must be approved by the SM before camp.

Open toed shoes. No need to invite stubbed toes.

Playing cards can be brought as can small board games.

On one camping trip one of the boys came up to me after we had set up and handed me a cell phone. He put it in him backpack he had forgotten he couldn't bring it and he didn't want to get in trouble. I put it in my car and locked it up.

Some time back in the forum a Scouter was very concerned about the health of the Scouts while they were attending summer camp.

Some suggestions were that the SPL check to see if they had brushed their teeth and another was that the SPL keep a spreadsheet of when they had a bowel movement!!

When I finished laughing and seen that it wasn't a joke I posted a comment that would not pass the Scout is Kind test.

I can't help thinking some of the items on the not allowed list are things that a Lad will be able to work out for himself.

BP when he was putting the Scout laws together didn't want a list of what Scouts shouldn't do, but wanted a list of what Scouts could or should be. Next time you are making a "Do Not " List, this might be worth thinking about.

Eamonn.

"if you let boys carry cell phones, mp3 players, and cd players while they were hiking, or in the outdoors, what do you think they would get out of it?"

I think cell phones, MP3 players, CD players, radios, walkmans, and other electronic devices would make the hiking or other activities much more enjoyable. Imagine listening to your favorite music or talking on the phone with friends and family while hiking, canoeing, fishing, or doing other activities. Wouldn't the activities be much more enjoyable? I think it would. Besides, what is the point of having a PORTABLE device if you're not allowed to take it with you? The keyword here is PORTABLE. If a device is portable, you are physically able to take it with you. Thus, the device's portability is useless if you are forbidden to take it with you. That is why I would gladly allow portable electronic devices to camp if I were a scoutmaster. Enjoy your favorite music while hiking, fishing, canoeing, or participating in other scouting activities, and I won't mind one bit. Enjoy talking on the phone while participating in the scouting activities, and I won't mind one bit.

The summer camp we attend has a list of "do not bring to camp" items in the leaders guide. There is a variety of items on the list & there is good logic for each one. Scouts with electronics have no place at camp. Camping is one place where you can get away from it all!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Some values we should pass along, some we should not. During a SM meeting for our contingent Jambo troops the discussion centered on what "not to bring." Almost immediately, a few suggested personal electronics equipment (MP3 & CD players, gameboys, etc.). "Why?", I asked. "Because we don't want the boy to spend all day in his tent playing video games. If his parents paid good money to go the the National Jamboree, he should participate in that!", they all chimed in. "I guess we should ban books then.", I stated. They all thought I was nuts. "But what if spends all day in his tent reading?", I asked. See, we are making value judgments on what entertainment is appropriate. What we should be teaching the Scouts is how to make intelligent decisions.

Now, a GOOD reason to ban personal electronics from place like summer camp is that it is not a good idea to bring valuables to camp. Good judgment yes, but a rule? having a favorite material item "disappear" is a great teaching tool (sometimes called the school of hard knocks).

Anyone who thinks a boy at Jamboree might choose to spend all day in his tent for ANY reason has never camped in Virginia in the summer. Being a pizza in an oven is preferable to being inside a tent in Virginia in the summertime.

Badget, how exactly does one canoe while talking on the cell phone or playing gameboy? Why go camping if you absorb yourself in the things you have everyday of your life? The boys can play PSP and listen to 50Cent nearly everyday, but those monthly outings take them to beautiful places around our country that they miss if there noses are buried in a portable instant messenger and their ears clogged with hiphop. Are your campouts that boring?