Our den has done a Geo Cache search and several other dens and our troop has done some as well. It was fun but the elements of GPS were lost most of our wolves. I likely didn't present it as well as I could have. Maybe now that we are Bears we can take another stab at it.

For those that aren't familiar:

Geo Cache is the use of Global Positioning Systems to locate a container of simple treasures hidden by others. Typically a 4"x6"x12" ammo box is hidden off a wooded trail and then its longitude and latitude coordinates are posted on the Internet. For fun the box is located and an article is removed and an article is added to the box. The visitor usually logs their visit both in the box and latter on the internet. The simple treasures are on the order of happy meal toys and cheap drug store trinkets.(This message has been edited by Its Me)

• 10 months later...

This may sound over-the-top to most in this forum, but in these times, geo caches in ammo boxes can occassionally cause problems. I have had to deal with two instances of geo cache boxes (ammo boxes) that were called in as "suspicious" or "possible IEDs" (improvised explosive devices). After an assessment of circumstances, available information (or lack thereof), and the suspicion-raising location of the boxes, both boxes ended up requiring a response by the bomb squad. Having gotten more educated after the first incident, for the second incident I even tried a quick internet search for a geo cache location matching where I was, but didn't come up with one.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs, but some of us deal with this type of thing on a regular basis and try very hard to operate with an "everybody goes home" mindset.

Suggestions we made to the planters of the second box - who we were eventually able to identify:

1. use something other than an ammo box, (a see-thru container is even better), and mark it "geo cache"

2. if ammo boxes are used, paint them something other than the original color and mark it "geo cache" or something similar,

3. if placed on private property, the owner should be aware of its existence,

4. if placed on public property, such as in a park, it helps if the public entity/responsible agency knows about it (some will discourage this, some will be neutral, and there are even a few that will support the idea if they get something out of it) Somewhere I read about a local park district that placed the boxes in some of their parks with brochures about their local parks' attractions inside.

5. never, ever, hide these near government facilties, public facilties, or any other security sensitive facility without permission.