Professional Scouting

Serious comments, suggestions, experiences, info., etc., please. (I don't need you to tell me I'm insane.) I've considered checking into becoming a professional Scouter. I've recently finished my BA, but I'm also a veteran Scout (10 years), and Scouter (15 years). Serious comments please. I've heard all the jokes.

Kevin,

Great! Scouting needs professionals with experience. The one thing you MUST remember is the 1st word in Boy Scouts is Boy. That is important. I have seen some professional Scouters forget that.

Good luck!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

If you have even the remotest interest in being a professional scouter, and you are willing to put up with multiple relocations by all means investigate it hard and long.

We needs dedicated scouters who know the program inside and out and are in it for the boys.

In the words of the Cajun charactor in the movie Waterboy

"YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Kevin, First you should talk to the professionals in your Council. They should be able to help you find the vacancies and give you insight. Remember, usually to advance up the ladder you have to move from Council to Council. Good luck. I think we need more professionals who come from our roots.

Go for it! I have heard of many others that were volunteers and then got into the professional scouting end. It can be done. I also recommend that you speak to some trusted members of your current professional staff. The hours are long. As a professional you must mostly make yourself available when your volunteers and the Scouting activities are scheduled -- that means weekends and evenings. As pointed out, moving up the career ladder means relocating, so your family needs to be good with this. Finally, make sure you understand how your performance will be judged. A professional has to be the consummate people person. You have to sell Scouting to potential charter partners (for new units), donors (to meet fund-raising goals) and volunteers (to meet membership goals. Good luck!!

It's a big job, and the shoes you'll wear will wear out and need replacement frequently. But if you've got the heart and mindset to do the job...like you really want to...then go for it. Understand, though, that the payscale in most councils for DE's is very low to start, and does not come close to matching that of private industry. But if you're not placing the money as a top priority, then I'd say you've got you ducks in a row.

Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

Kevin --

(Assuming you read this.)I hate to warm up a 2 year old thread, but won't let it stop me either.

I happened to be cruising through old threads and saw your message. I'm posting as much for your benefit as I am for any others who may be considering becomming a Scouting profesisonal.

Like yourself, I grew up in the program and have many, many good memories of the great things Scouting volunteers did on my behalf. The warnings of the other volunteers who posted to this thread are true -- but they don't know how good it feels to be a district executive who dedicates his/her life to the Scouting program for our kids.

I'm working on year 15 as a pro (three of those were ugly, but the other 12 have been wonderful.)

It's worth it.

Yeah, you have to relocate if you want to move up (with a few exceptions,) but that can be cool, too. I've lived in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin and am looking forward to the next location. It helps that my wife and I don't have any kids and that she's a special education teacher. If you like where you are and don't mind staying at the same level, you don't have to move.

Talk to professionals in your council. The pay isn't as bad as others say it is, but you're not going to get rich, either.

Dave Steele

Assistant Scout Executive