Yellowstone camping information

Our troop is thinking about an extended camping trip to Yellowstone next year. I'm looking for any info such as campground suggestions. Also, since we will be flying in, equipment rental would also be helpfull.

Dave

I'm envious. Go to the NPS web site and get the phone numbers for HQ at Mammoth. Call and talk to a person to get the latest info on availability. A lot depends on when you plan to be there. If you merely check your backpacks through baggage you can spend weeks in the backcountry and you won't have to rent anything. But you can get stuff in Jackson if necessary, supplies in the park (but they're expensive). All in all, not a bad way to travel. From experience, a week circling Yellowstone lake in the backcountry. Another week or so in the north, perhaps crossing the center, perhaps exploring the northwest areas. I could spend years there. Have fun.

Canyon Campground is the best for what you need. It has showers and a laundry, plus a good store and its close to many good trails. The campgrounds are good to start and stop but I would hope that backcountry camping is your primary goal.

As for rental equipment, I would look at your hometown and locally before going. Otherwise you are looking at a day or better of fitting and picking just to outfit the troop.

We flew into Salt Lake and drove up. There are several good stores along the way for stocking up. Remember fuel, even cannister fuel cannot be transported in a plane.

Some backcountry campsites have limits on the number of people so chose wisely. Yellowstone is a Park not a National Forest and as such has much tighter rules on people, animals and fires.

Just go. If you have the money and the time by all means go. If I go again I might stop at old faithful but few other "must see" attractions. I would spend as much time as possible in the backcountry.

• 6 months later...

Hi Dave

Welcome to Wyoming. Have you thought about any of the fabulous bacpacks available in the park? There are also some great canoe trips on Lewis and Shoshone lakes available in addition to the tourist crawl.

My Troop is a WY Troop and if you are interested in other than the tourist moving parking lot stuff, email be back.

JB