My first Cub Scout Overnighter?

Hi I volunteered to plan our Overnighter / graduation. I have never been a part of cub Scouts before this year. The only camping I had ever done was with my family and friends. I did a lot of reading on the internet and came up with this plan. Please tell me what you think could be done better, and what I might be leaving out.

Link: http://members.cox.net/pack.81/campfire_planner

Others are planning things for before the times I have stated and the next day.

Looks like a pretty good plan. I did not notice any skits planned. Cubs tend to really get into skits and it is a great way to get them used to the idea of speaking to a group.

Good job pushing the outdoor program for Cubs!

Mark

The plan looks great, but be prepare to be flexible. This is great for a graduation campout, but do let the boys do some skits.

For regular campout/campfire:

You have got to have skits for the boys to do. Either the Dens come up with one or two or you have a bunch on hand and pass them out. Have them pick out the skits a little right before dinner or sometimes during the afternoon. I usually have one master and copies (cut out already into parts). Which ever one they choose, I mark it off the master and hand them their parts.

At the campfire, I usually start off with a flag retirement ceremony and then the fun starts with skits, song, some skits, song, lots more skits, and ... The campfire usually lasts about 90 minutes. The cubs usually love silly songs such as "He Jumped 10,000 feet" "God Bless My Underwear" etc. (make sure that it's okay with the parents).

1Hour

Nice job, looks like you put some time into this!

A few comments: your program starts at 4:30 and I dont see any mealtime. Youll want to feed them before 8:00! Somaoas and hotdogs around a Pack campfire can be scary to say the least. I must admit that this part of the evening always scares me! Lots of kids of all ages, sticks, flames, parents that refuse to see the danger, a long program, and some hunger, darkness and kids that refuse to admit their scared. It all adds up to a situation that requires great vigilance.

Your religious service (not everyone goes to church!!) is scheduled for 60 minutes. If youre doing a Scouts Own, 20-30 minutes are adequate, with 30 being the extreme. If you are leaving the campground and then coming back thats another story.

It appears to me that you have much more time scheduled then the material requires. You might want to be prepared to use up some extra time with skits or another story.

You start at 4:30 and conclude your formal program at 8:00. Most of your time is spent in an assembled, highly structured setting. You might want to think about some physical activity for the kids to engage in before you move to the program. They will be very excited, and in need of burning off some energy before they can sit quietly for any length of time.

You end the campfire with a prayer, it seems redundant since you just finished your religious service 90 minutes ago. Find an appropriate CM minute, and end the program on that note! No more cheers, walk away in silence.

You comment about walking the parents back to their cars, Im sure that you are aware of this, but as a reminder, all the kids must have a parents with them for the overnighter, even the Webelos.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

fotoscout,

4:30 is the start of my part of the planning for the night. I believe that we are going to meet at around 1:00-2:00 for a hike, fishing or games. That part is being handled by another parent. But youre right about the Meal time, I'll scheaule that in thank you.

The religious service is being done by the CO, a church and we were asked that all of the parents try to attain because we are trying to build our membership and because they do a lot for us with very little in return.

I decided to do very little in the way of skits because, we do skits at most Pack meetings. (Because we are a tiny pack of about 12 kids)

And I really was talking about walking the parents that were not staying for the overnighter back to there cars.

Thank you for your help and I hope this clears it up. Any ideas of things we can do besides skits.

Skits and songs are the bread and butter of a campfire, I dont know what else you might add. On the other hand, you might want to check with the leader doing your flag retirement, maybe you can stretch that piece of your program. Flag retirement ceremonies can be choreographed to meet the needs of the group. One thing you can do is to give each person a flag or piece of a flag, and have a slow procession to the fire where each person takes a private moment before placing the flag into the fire. This can be very dramatic, and does take up a fair amount of time.

This last weekend was our packs overnighter where we had a great time!! We had 90 kids (including siblings), which was our biggest turnout ever. Your plan looks good. Make sure it has lots of ENERGY!! My suggestions would be:

- You'll DEFINATELY want to feed those kids sooner. By 8pm theyll be starving! We had hamburgers and hotdogs at 4pm and they were hungry again my 9!

- If you know of a Boy Scout troop nearby, see if you can enlist their help. TheY always have lots of skits. Thanks again Troop 174, Albuquerque NM, you guys were awesome!!

- You can never sing enough songs. Here is one of my Pack's favorites:

Song of my Shoes

(Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic)

My shoes have seen the glory of the growing of a Scout.

My shoes have been in water steppin' in and steppin' out.

My shoes have hiked through forest to the top of the mount;

My shoes are wearing out!

Groovy, Radical, and Awesome

My shoes are wearing out!

My shoes have seen the bottom of the dirty fishy creek,

My shoes have been all covered with the gooey, muddy cake,

My shoes have seen the same old socks for seven days this week,

My shoes do really stink!

My shoes do really stink!

My shoes are torn and tattered climbing fences packed in rust,

My shoes are stained and spattered with some yucky insect guts,

My shoes are oozing slime and fill my Mom with disgust,

My shoes have bit the dust!

My shoes have bit the dust!

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys for posting your replies. It was very helpful. All the boys had a good time. The Webalos did not buy the "Magic Fire" (http://www.globalserve.net/~codyak/campfire/magicfire9.htm #3) but the little ones took it hook, line, and sinker. We added kid story tell and joke telling (the tigers really don't get it yet) they were all funny. Thank you again :)