GeoScouting = GPS Geocaching + Scouting

---

Here is some info on an idea

of introducing Boy Scouts to Geocaching.

This is from a person that did it on a "Camporee" for his Scout District.

Thought I would pass it around

to the Scouting, Outdoors, & GPS groups.

---

We hid 15 caches that contained

a log book and a banner for each patrol's

staff;

then hid 5 more caches, a bit harder to find, with a log book and an item to bring back to the table to prove they found it.

Once they brought this item back,

we gave each member of the patrol a wooden GeoScouting nickel.

Pictures of these items are on the web page.

I don't know how they hid them at that camporee, but finding geocaches is not as simple as you might think. I participate in geocaching as a sport. True some are relatively easy to find, but if you want a real challenge find the micro and mini caches! If you don't know alot about geocaching as a sport go to www.geocaching.com

I did a watered down version at Cub Scout Camp and man did they love it! I took the idea of Geocashing/letterboxing but built in ways to use the scout skills to find them or "do" something with them once found.

It was a smash hit. I let the adults know where to go if they wanted the kids to do it for real. I heard some of them followed through.

Don't know if is would classify as "High Adventure" but sometimes it feels like it! And there are some Geocashes hidden on trails and such!

• 1 month later...

Be aware that most NPS, FS, State and Local Parks consider geocaching to be either littering or establishing an illegal dump and will fine those caught participating.

Be sure you know the rules of the location before participating and STRESS this point to those you teach it to.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

'not sure if someone will post a reply to me on this thread. 'just would like to revive this one as Geocaching have become a latest craze not only from the Scouts themselves but to some extent adult high adventurous groups. The old maps and compass of the boys will somehow disappear with the advent of this handheld GPS which I think is having a viral spread among teens and adults. I tried to research on this and found a few good stuff at scoutstuff.org. What I like most are their waterproof items such as the Geomate GPS which has a user friendly set-up and a shock proof design, the green waterproof journal which I think is suitable in today's unpredictable weather condition and another is the waterproof matchbox. haven't check out the others 'just looked at the waterproof ones.

I want to know any scouters insights on this.

The biggest problem is cost

Geocaching doesn't work well with groups larger than 2 or 3 people.

Distances between caches and time to find them.

Caches at a camporee, would be one solution, but after the first couple of groups found it the others would just end up following the trail.

My family geocaches as well, been doing it for 4 years or so. Long enough that both son and daughter have their own gps's, both purchased from craigs list for less than $50 a piece. We have found 209 caches around our area.

How much does it cost for each season? Should it be that when cache has been found, the other group should refrain from tracing the trails so the thrill is still there?

Is it being registered?

Do you a complete list of items needed here other than GPS?

On our first outing as a new troop, we took the boys on a hike and tried to introduce them to geocaching. One that we picked out was unreacheable to to high water levels, another one we couldn't find, neither could another cacher out on the hunt. We did find one, logged it in but for some reason it was not listed on geocaching.com.

Geocaching is a great scouting activity though.

Geocaching, at east once in a while, is a great activity to show Scouts the reality of GPS's. Too many youth have the idea that a GPS will take them to exactly the spot, within inches. You watch them geocache the first time, and the GPS says they have arrived, yet they can't find the cache.

They are great to teach that the accuracy of the GPS when the cache is set, the accuracy of the GPS finding it, plus weather conditions, tree cover or if you are on the north side of a mountain can effect how well it works.

In one article of Groundspeak, it says that Geocaching has clear and appropriate requirements for hiding, maintaining and finding caches that support the scouting experience.

Does it covers orientation in calculating the coordinate distances?

I bet that one should be aware of some trigonometry for them to arrive at exact latitudinal and longitudinal distance of the caches. And there is still a necessity for compass.

And the related logbook and notebook. Does it implicitly states any provision that will endure harsh weather?

wood

your reading way to much into it.

you go to the website get the coordinates upload the cache info into your gps and go. Pretty simple.

then go and find the caches..... most are real easy. lately there is a trend for extreme caches....the ones that are hung in the tops of trees or hiding in the city sewers.

I still contend that geocaching lends itself well to a group of two or three. but larger than that it is too many people.