MacGyver-type fixes?

Anyone ever make a resourceful fix in an emergency? Let's share them.

By the way, if you're in Southern California Borders Books will have an author giving free demonstrations for the next three weekends in Glendale, Puente Hills and La Habra.

Cy - www.sneakyuses.com

3 pencils, dowels or of similar nature can be duct taped into an emergency sextant. At arm's lenght one angle points to Polaris, the other at the horizon line. Will allow one to sail a constant east-west lub line....

For sheer desperation when flying IFR and the VGI goes south, using a pen as a bob will help as an indicator to keep the nose up, and the wings level to avoid a spin and an auger into the deck....

Wow!!

I have a problem finding the end of the duct tape.

Did have an old Scout Van that I repaired the muffler with a coat hanger and a coke can.

Back home when I found myself not where I thought I was supposed to be I would reach in my pocket and see if I had any pictures of the Queen then head for the nearest ale house. At times this could be a lengthy procedure.

Eamonn

Used a canoe to jack up a car to change a flat.....here's how...made a rope cradle for the boat, suspended the contraption from a tree, rigged a three to one pulley system to car and boat, then filled the canoe with water....simple

Hardly MacGyver maybe McDona;d's...

really impressed our older scouts by using three litter poles as rollers to move an "immovable object". I am constantly amazed at the things that kids miss is basic science clases. (Actually I think that they just didn't want to move that serving area (bar!) from in front of the kitchen service window.... they were right - it was filthy underneath it!

Bob