two words:

aluminum foil

I have never tried this with rice. Sounds like a challenge. To cook rice, you could either toast, steam, or boil it. I recomend a method that uses water, though if you like your rice dry that is OK with me, so long as I don't have to eat it.

I would suggest placing the correct quantity of water in a properly shaped piece of aluminum foil. Place the foil "container" on your heat source. Wait for the water to begin boiling. Add the rice. Close the foil container and wait for the rice to cook.

I have no idea if this will actually work, since I haven't tried it, but I see no reason it shouldn't work, in theory.

As a matter of fact it does work. TO set the whole story straight last group cookout my Scout Leader cooked rice in foil while i cooked a stew in foil. He has a habbit of taking the piss out of all of the lower ranks so he made fun of my stew. I on the other hand said it was nothing special cooking rice in foil and that i could even do it without using foil. But as we have no large bamboo or other large waxy leaves in this country im a bit stuck for what leaves i can use... Anybody think bannana leaves are possible??? Or maybee i could cook it inside some other fruit llike an apple and add a sweet and sour sauce with it to match??? any ideas?

Try this.....

You'll need a bit of canvas with a tight weave....first, mix a batch of mud thick enough to roll out like dough. Form a small bowl (about 1/2 to 3/4 thick walls), as well as a small lid with a few added perforations (to let steam escape). Line with the canvas, add your rice and liquid and set on the coals, banking the embers part way up, and around for even heating....as always, you'll need to experiment a bit to get it right...

• 5 months later...

This one i've tried it works really well. I got the info on it from Backpacking magazine. This is for a backpacking trip, but worked really well for daytrips of camp outs with lots of events, and minimal time for lunch. What you do is take a clear plastic dish and mix the proper amount of water and rice acourding to the box(i found instant rice worked better), and store in your bag or at camp 8 hours later its ready to eat. It's really good with prepackaged italian dressing.

I know this was a question to make rice with out utensils, but i thought it might fit by not using fire.

DGL