Adult Leader Training

Please don't laugh, but although I've been an adult leader since 1990, I've never been through Adult Leader Training, SM Fundamentals, etc. It looks like my schedule will finally allow me to attend the training when it is offered in late March, early April. To be honest, I'm only taking it to set an example for other adults in my troop (our previous leaders had all attended training in the early 90's, but we haven't had anyone attend in 5-6 years). I was on the JLTC staff for our council for three years, have eleven years of Scout leader experience, was mentored as a youth by some incredible leaders, and did a lot of work in grad school in leadership and motivational theory (I still ready 6-8 new leadership books a year). Can others who have taken the training please reassure me that I will learn something and basically slap me up so I will have my head in the right place when I show up for the first session? Feel free to tell me horror stories (lies won't hurt in this case) that will keep me sharp. Also, being in my position, what do you think I should focus on learning while I am there (it is one evening session, one Saturday session, and one weekend)? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well, I am not sure, given your background, that YOU will get anything out of the training. However, I do believe your prescence will enrich the class.

I negelcted taking training for quite a few years after my son got into scouts. I am an ASM and figured being Eagle and all, I didnt need the training. Finally, a group of the leaders got together and we attended training mostly to appease the SM. I was sure I wouldnt get anything out of the training. I was wrong.

The central most important thig I learned was just how darn complicated and involved Scouting can seem. When you "grow-up" from the inside it doesnt seem that way, its simple. But when you are in the training sessions with people being introduced to scouting for the first time, its amazing. Requirements to join, what is a rank, why have a troop committee, what is the role of the charter organization, whats a Board Of Review, etc. Things we lifers take so much for granted are like a foreign language to the unititiated. If you play baseball starting at little league, the rules just seem come to you, but have you ever tried to explain the "infield fly rule" to someone totally unfamiliar to the game let alone the concept of a force play?

I learned just how much most "new to scouting" leaders dont know, and learned to explain things in a way they can understand, and learned not to assume every one had some form of scouting background.

I did learn that Board of Reviews dont have to be Just for Advancement, they can be motivational for a scout who hasnt advanced. TO let them know the adults care about him and are willing to help (not do though) .. him advance. I did learn that planning the Troops program is aided by picking a theme for the year, and then all the meeitngs and outings are tied to the theme.

SO I leaned a few things and met some great people I see at district functions, the time was very rewarding

Unless I miss my guess, while you may not learn anything materially new, you will be an asset to the session. Having people in the "audience" familiar with the subject is always a good thing. And who knows, you may pick up a point or to for your unit

There several reasons for you take training:

1)The SM and a least one ASM need to have had completed the old course "Scoutmaster's Fundmentals" or the new courses: "New Leader Essentials", "Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Specific Leader Training" and "Introduction to Outdoor Skills" for your troop to earn Quality Unit.

2)The BSA is not static. It is always changing. In my council, at the end of training, we tell the participants they are trained for 3 years or until they change their Scouting postition, whichever happens first. The BSA changes the program minorly every 3-4 years and major changes happen every 7-10 years. Watch the changes in the literature, to show you when these changes are happening. By following a 3 year retraining cycle, you should keep up with the lastest program coming out of national.

May I encourage you, as a seasoned Scouter, that you volunteer to be on staff of the training course. Teach one or two sessions that you feel comfortable in and the rest of the time actively participate in the training. You can gain great deal this way and at the same pass on some of your wealth of experience. Whenever I reach the three year point, I make sure to help with the training to keep myself current.

Scott Hemgren

ADC

Central Minnesota Council

Just do it, and no you will probably not pick up anything new. I've been through the training in both Boy and Girl Scouts and have found them "warm body exercises", however training is always required. Having through the Girl Scout program as a youth and worked with Boys and Girls as an adult I didn't find anything in either Scouting programs with which I wasn't already familiar. If you have the time now, just do it and check it off. Who knows maybe they will offer something you haven't done in a while.

I became active as an adult scouter at the cub level in 1988. I went through cub training and later Scoutmaster Fundamentals when my sons moved up. Just this last fall I sat through the first session of the new "position specific training." I did learn a few new things, and gained additional insight into things that I already knew well. Subsequently I was on staff for the outdoor skills session. Those skills don't change much.

You will benefit from this and others will benefit from your presence. It is a much more productive way to spend a day than watching a football or basketball game on the tube. By all means go.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was 95% sure that I would take the training, if for nothing else then to try and get some new parents in my troop to take it. If nothing else, I can dig out some of the old practical jokes from my JLTC staff days and have some fun with the newer Scouters (they're adults, so they should be able to take it). The only way I won't take it now is if something really major comes up. I did like the idea of possibly teaching a session while there and then participating in the rest of the sessions to learn what I can. I think it will also be a great time to exchange ideas with other people in different troops to find out things they are doing right (similar to what I do on this forum). I am looking forward to it. I just have to make sure I keep my ego in line (humility is a great gift) and not try to take over for the instructors (although I've heard they are pretty good).

I was on my district training staff for 5 years & was the Scoutmaster for one of the Scoutmaster Fundamentals course. I went through the course 10 years ago & really enjoyed it. It seems to me if this type of training is done at the district level, it can be more informative & relavent than at the council or higher level. I also went through Woodbadge (NE-V-120 Eagle Patrol) and found that this was a problem solving course geared to Scouting. I loved it. Did I learn anything? Yes. Would I recommend either course? Yes. I require all my new leaders to complete Scoutmaster Fundamentals. This way, they have an idea what the Scouts are faced with.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

> I require all my new leaders to complete Scoutmaster Fundamentals.

How do you enforce that? Our troop has a lot of active adults, but if we enforced that we would only have 3-4 of us, at most. And I will be starting a new troop in the fall where having 3-4 active adults (it is in an inner city area) would probably be great. Of course I will try to get as many trained as possible, but enforcing it would seem impossible, and counterproductive.

Brad

Chippewa29: I think your group will be lucky to have you to help the "newbies" with your experience and academic work. One thing I have noticed as a trainer for many years is that long-time Scouters get in a rut with their units -- "this is the way we've alway done it." But as was pointed out, the program is always changing and just because you've been sucessful doesn't mean that it is the "official" BSA way. So you may learn something and at the very least pick up a tip or two, maybe from other experienced Scouters like yourself, just sharing success stories.

andrews,

I enforce it by giving them minimal latitude in authority in the Troop until they have attended Scoutmaster Fundamentals. In my opinion, if they aren't properly trained, they can't properly lead the Scouts! I have lost a couple leaders because of this, but I feel it is necessary.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Scamp- Fortunately, one thing I realized many years ago (not that many considering the experience of some of the other posters) is that the best leaders and organizations change to adapt with the times and make themselves better. I did a lot of OA elections while I was a Scout, so I got the chance to see a lot of different troops in action. A lot the ones that seemed to be sliding had adult leaders that were still doing things just because that is how they always did them. The best troops that had the most excitement were the ones that seemed to be changing and adapting to meet the needs of their members.

I also coach high school track and have changed about 80% of the way that I do things in the past four years. As a result my team has continued to get better beyond just adding extra talent. My former counterpart liked to say how he always had done things a certain way and they worked in the past, so he would continue to do them now. That is why he always had to work his tail off to have pretty good (but not championship) teams and was always frustrated when the same things would keep going wrong.

Before I took over my troop last year, it had been sliding in membership and energy for several years. However, the adult leadership in my troop (except for me) didn't see the need to change anything. Things had worked before doing it a certain way, so why change? I know right now that how we do things now as an eight Scout troop will need to change some once we grow. I am preparing for the change and want to anticipate the needs before they hit.

Two observations about "we've always done things that way...."

1. This is not an acceptable excuse for not considering doing something different. Just not acceptable.

2. There are usually good reasons why "we've always done things that way..." Before rejecting an old way of doing things just because it is old, the proponents of the old way at least deserve the courtesy of being heard. Old ways of doing things were seldom arrived at accidentally. The real questions are whether the original reasons for doing things the old way still apply, and even where those reason might still apply might a new way still be better?

When it comes to training I learn more from the the questions asked by the newbies than I do from the answers from the old hands. The questions often reflect a new way of looking at things, not just ignorance of scouting traditions, policies, methods, etc.

One of the benefits of going through training is that it can simply be fun. It is a great way to meet adults with similar concerns and interests. We all learn from each other all the time.