Floating The Ocoee River

I am thinking about bringing a trip from Ark over to SE Tenn to do a float trip on the Ocoee this Summer. Has anybody done this and if so what outfitter did you use? We would probably camp in order to save money so I'm also interested in campgrounds in the area.

We've used Nantahala both with our troop and with our family. They're a real good outfit. I expecially liked the video they show before anyone launches, showing technique and what to do if you happen to fall in.

Anyone out there use a different outfitter?

We did a half day rafting trip on the Ocoee River back in 1996 on our way to the Florida Keys.

1996 was the year of the Olympics in Atlanta, and since the Ocoee was the location for Olympic whitewater events, it was extra exciting for the boys (and Parents) to hear the river mentioned on the news.

We used USA Raft as an outfitter; www.usaraft.com

They did a good job and were very reasonably priced. We used the same company for rafting the New River gorge in West Virginia as well.

They say 1 in 9 will end up in the river during the course of a trip. We ended up with 3 for 9, two were adults, with me included.

It was an exciting trip.

Cliff Golden