HIGH ADVENTURE 2004

Sea Base for us. This will complete our loop. In 5 years we've done Jambo, 2 times to Philmont, Northern Tier, and now Sea Base. Northern Tier was by far the hardest of the things we did, but then we haven't completed Out Island Adventure at Sea Base, but I don't think that's going to get the hardest rating like Northern Tier did. All are worth doing, even if it costs you more than $1,000 / scout, like ours did. It's a long way from CA to NM, MIN, or FL. But worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In March we completed a 6 night 7 day 62 mile backpacking trip in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We performed trail and campsite maintenance and filled out campsite reports and surveys along the way.

In July we will go to Northern Tier. So far we have 20 of us going.

I'm looking at a week long AT hike in the snow between Christmas and New Years to complete the year.

Good choice going to the Boundry Waters, bad choice going through an outfitter. The only way to go is through Northern Tier. The outfitters don't even give you an emergency radio... how sucky. If anybody reading this plans to go to the Boundry Waters... go through Northern Tier.

I hate to disagree with fellow Eagles, but I have experience with BOTH the Scout base and a private outfitter in the Boundary Waters. We have found the equipment, food, and service to be far superior thru the private outfitter. It does cost a little more, but it is well worth it. And the private outfitter we use does have emergency radios available to their customers.

We use North Country Canoe Outfitters. The owner, John Schiefelbein is a veteran scouter (Eagle scout, Silver Beaver, Wood Badge) who caters to scout groups and has excellent packages available.

I've also used both and used North Country Canoe Outfitters last summer after getting recommendation from Eagle90 and others. Couldn't have been happier. Very professional. Best part was pulling away from the shore (about 50 yds from Northern Tier dock) without a Guide - it was exciting to be totally on our own. (But we did rent the satellite phone -- just in case...)

The responsibility of going in without a Guide is probably not for everyone, but I'll definitely be using NCCO again.