HIGH ADVENTURE 2004

So where is everyone going for their High Adventure trip in 2004? Always interested in getting some new ideas.

We will be returning to the Boundary Waters of Northern Minnesota in August. I can't believe it's bee 8 years since I've been there! North Country Canope Outfitters will be used as our outfitter,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm most likely going to Ranger Camp at the end of July.

The rest of the people from our troop are headed to Florida for Sea Base in August.

***You stole my idea, I thought about doing this the other day and didnt. Great minds think alike I guess;)***

Double H Ranch in New Mexico 9 scouts

Prevailing Winds II, ship which sails Lake Michigan and or Superior. 11 scouts

Both in July

At least 3 scouts are going to Philmont for training

One advantage of a large troop is the adventures that can be opened up for the scouts.

We have started doing a multi-day summer trip in addition to traditional summer camp. Last year we went to Gettysburg and all that went participated in, and earned the Gettysburg Heritage Trails award.

This year we will be spending several days in northern Maine where a a whitewater raft trip and an assualt on Mt. Katahdin(Highest point in Maine and northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail) is on the itinerary.

SA

If you're anywhere near Western Virginia, you might check out the Blue Ridge Council's High Knoll program - search for Camp Powhatan and go from there. Imagine a mini-Philmont outpost type trek, enough altitude to make the summers comfortable but not 10,000'+

You'd have to work to make it a 50-miler but priced right...

I feel that I've got about another month or so of debating with myself as to where to go...either back to Blue Ridge, or someplace else like Tinnerman where I've never been. The other thought is none of the above, and either cycle across the U.S. or just spend a few months on the PCT starting on the John Muir section, and heading for Shasta....well, I'll give it another month before I commit...

Eagle90,

Say Hi to John at North Country Canoe Outfitters. He treated us right last summer. A sister troop is taking two crews up to see him this summer and my son is trying to figure out how to sneak in - he can't wait to go back.

But most of this spring/summer is going to be getting ready for Philmont in late July.

We're considering a trip down to Laguna Station on South Padre Island for the guys not going to Philmont, but still just talk. It's run by Rio Grande Council and was started by a couple of my best friends from youth scouting days. I've never been, but others in the area have enjoyed it a lot.

Mike -

We were down at Laguna Station in 2002. It was a great trip, with lots to do and a very laid back relaxing atmosphere. The staff was top notch and very accomodating. Watch out for the sunburn! One piece of advice - blow off a day of the planned activities and spend it at the Schlitterbahn water park located next to the base. WHAT A BLAST WE HAD!!

DALE

• 2 weeks later...

There is a brand new High Adventure Base in the Upper Midwest. The Sioux Council is opening the Missouri River High Adventure base next summer. They are offering 7 and 10 day treks along the last unchanneled section of the Missouri River, following in Lewis and Clark's footsteps. Take a look here: http://www.siouxbsa.org/lewisclark/Pages/Missouri%20River/missouri_river2.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo2,

Thanks for the recommendation on High Knoll. Our troop is now looking into a trip possibility for 2005. The cost for Philmont($1800pp for our Council trip) has alway intimidated many in our troop from pursuing High Adventure trips. High Knoll looks very reasonable.

SA