Where do these ideas come from?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK this might throw some salt into the wound. The G2SS states "It is essential that adequate, safe, and responsible transportation be used for all Scouting activities. Because most accidents occur within a short distance from home, safety precautions are necessary, even on short trips.

General guidelines are as follows:"

And #1-12 under this are all in bold type. A Troop meeting is a Scouting activity. So the guidelines should apply. I'm not saying I don't think a Scout should be allowed to drive himself to a Troop meeting. What I am saying is this another one of the "gray areas" not clearly defined.

Ed Mori

1 Pster 4:10

And if you read the entire passage you will see that every requirement centers on groups and passengers. There is nothing grey here. These rules are for trips and outings when transporting small groups and has nothing to do with an individual transporting themselves to meetings. And where does it make allowance for Venturing but a restriction for Boy Scouts as the original poster stated?

And if you read the entire passage you will see that every requirement centers on groups and passengers. There is nothing grey here. These rules are for trips and outings when transporting small groups and has nothing to do with an individual transporting themselves to meetings. And where does it make allowance for Venturing but a restriction for Boy Scouts as the original poster stated?

It might center on groups & passengers but nowhere is it stated that it is limited to groups & passengers.

I don't see any allowances for Venturing and restrictions for Boy Scouts.

And why is this topic under the Camping thread? Seems more appropriate for Issues & Politics.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

My intent is not to throw this thread off topic, but since the title is "Where do these ideas come from?" and we are talking about transportation...

Could anyone provide some insight regarding the origin of the following requirement and what it specifically means? I frankly am not clear as to what the intent of this restriction is.

10. Do not travel in convoy (see "Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings," No. 2).

Thanks in advance. Your collective wisdom is much appreciated.

SA

This one is a good idea, for all the reasons Barry mentions. In addition to maps and written directions. We make sure someone who knows where they are going leaves last. Drivers are told that if they are unsure of a turn to stop and wait for this last person to catch up with them. Of course, if they make a wrong turn and drive 20 miles out of the way, they're just lost.

Back to the original question about 16-year-old drivers and where these ideas come from. When I took BSA Health and Safety a year ago, we were taught that drivers under age 18 could not drive themselves -- even alone -- to council or district activities, including summer camp. Several folks in the class questioned the policy and it was repeated, so I'm sure I heard it correctly.

Personally, I don't have a problem with local units or councils making health and safety requirements more restrictive.

These ideas get started when written rules (in this case, the Guide to Safe Scouting) are not crystal clear--and of course, rules are almost never crystal clear. In this specific case, the Guide does not make a clear distinction between meetings, activities, trips and outings, both in connection with transportation and youth-protection. To me, it seems that the intention is to restrict the age of drivers only in group travel on trips or outings, but the use of the vague term "activity" could confuse some people. But it still takes some interpretation to figure out questions like: "Can an adult leader drive home two boys from a meeting?" The answer seems to be yes, if (a) one of them is his own son, and he drops the other boy off first or (b) he drops both boys off at the same time. Otherwise he would violate the one-on-one requirement--which I think still applies even though the meeting is over, right? Or what about: "Can a 17-year-old youth member drive home another boy from the meeting?" No youth protection issue there (although I'm not sure why)--but it seems to me this should only be allowed with the approval of the boys' parents--a requirement which is in the Guide, but which only seems to apply to trips and outings. This scenario seems to me to be realistic, and more problematic than whether the 17-year-old can drive himself.

Scouts are not under the supervision of the BSA when traveling to and from troop meetings. They are not required to travel in pairs, they are not required to be under the supervision of someone 21 or older. These rules pertain to troop trips and outings.

Driving to a troop meetig is diffreent than attending a council or district event.

Transporting yourself is different than driving on a trip with other youth while under the supervision of the troop. Nowhere do the rules restrict a licensed driver transporting themselves. Nowhere are Venturers held to a different standard as was posted.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"Scouts are not under the supervision of the BSA when traveling to and from troop meetings. They are not required to travel in pairs, they are not required to be under the supervision of someone 21 or older. These rules pertain to troop trips and outings."

Where does in the G2SS does it state these rules pertain only to trips & outings?

"Driving to a troop meeting is different than attending a council or district event."

Agreed. Driving & attending are different.

"Transporting yourself is different than driving on a trip with other youth while under the supervision of the troop. Nowhere do the rules restrict a licensed driver transporting themselves. Nowhere are Venturers held to a different standard as was posted"

Agreed. And nowhere do the rules specify an individual driving alone versus driving a group. These are general guidelines.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10