Where do these ideas come from?

A couple posters on another thread seem to believe that a licensed teenaged driver is not allowed to drive himself to troop meetings. They base this on the restrictions for transporting groups in the G2SS.

Out of curiosity do any other posters believe this to be the rule?

Bob White

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kind of like reading the Bible everyone puts there own slant to it!

A 16 year old scout can drive other scouts to events if all guardians agree to it.

No restrictions are placed on driving to a meeting.

The general rule Ron and Scoutingagain is 18 years of age for driving on activities, however there are events where a licensd 16-yr-old can drive other scouts under certain conditions. No restriction however are put on licensed drivers who are driving themselves to meetings.

Bob

The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to the following conditions:

Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

No record of accidents or moving violations

Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders

This is a change that happened over 2 years ago.

(This message has been edited by dan)

Again it is important to remember that the G2SS is only referring to transporting groups, and does not place any restrictions on licensed drivers transporting themselves to meetings as stated by the original poster or his one supporter.

Bob White

I doubt that your CO has the authority to tell a licensed driver that they cannot drive themselves to a meeting. In any case the question is, does the BSA prohibit a licensed driver from transporting himself to a meeting. I know of no regulation against it. Does anyone?

Bob White

I agree with BW, there is no BSA rules that would stop any driver from taking scouts to and from a meeting. Though if a scout wanted catch a ride home with a another scout when I was scoutmaster, I tried to make sure he had permission from his folks. I didn't want the flack from the parents. In Washington State now the rules for new drivers restrict them from giving a ride to anyone outside of their family. My youngest is 22 and the law was changed well after she started to drive so I'm not really up on all the details.

Tour permits only are for activities of the unit. In the case of meetings the activities of the unit start at the meeting or meeting place.(This message has been edited by NWScouter)

The G2SS discusses many activities and practices that are not permitted. One may wonder about other activities and practices that are not discussed in the Guide. It would be incorrect to conclude that activities and practices NOT discussed are forbidden, simply because they are not mentioned.

The Guide also discusses many activities and practices that are mandatory. One may wonder about other activities and practices that are not discussed in the Guide. It would be incorrect to conclude that activities and practices NOT discussed are mandadory.

Don't make the G2SS more than it is. You must do what the Guide says you must do. You must not do what the Guide says you must not do. With anything else, use the common sense that God gave you.

Bob White, You're quite right, the CO's insurance limitations have nothing to do with individuals driving to troop meetings. However, there appears to be a gray area in which a limitation (18 year-old minimum age) might apply if that individual was a driver to a BSA-sponsored event (i.e. camporee, camping trip, scouting for food) rather than a troop meeting. This applies even if no other persons are in the vehicle with the boy. The policy (insurance, that is) is not clear, perhaps intentionally. I'm not arguing BSA policy. Rather, I'm just alerting everyone to look beyond BSA policy. There could be other factors that affect or limit transportation.

I agree Packsaddle that events are another thing altogether. The orignal poster said that a 17-year-old Venture Scout could drive to meetings but 17-yr-old Boy Scouts could not. I have no idea where that belief came from.

Dave,

The back of the tour permit is not relevent. we are only talking about 17-year-olds driving themselves to meetings.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)