National Camping Award

Well it's still active in our council-- we receive the application with our recharter packet-- BSA #33690a -- It's called "our camping log" it lists all the awards for total days and nights of camping for the year---- ( unit, bronze, silver,and gold awards and lists all the #s to order the ribbons/ patches)call your council office--- RM

The individual awards (a patch) are for 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 nights cumulative. The troop awards (a streamer) are for 10, 20, 30, or 50 nights in one year, or 100, 250, 500, or 1,000 nights cumulative. The requirements are printed on the camping log.

Most, as we do, go by "nights" camping. Therefore, your example would be 2 nights (or two days if you prefer). As for the old question of "do you count cabin camping" I believe that is a SM discretion item.

I'll admit I don't know the strict definitions for the National Camping Award.

I don't see why a Troop would count cabin camping. We have not done this yet but the PLC last week voted to look into one of the cabins at our Scout reservation. It's all about the outdoor program anyway. They boys still have a duty roster, cook,sleep in sleeping bags, carry a pack, collect firewood and chop it, we'll probably go on a hike and work on an outdoor skill or two. Everything we do when we tent camp only thing difference is the shelter.

I have herd this at roundtable also. That cabin camping isn't camping cause it isn't in a tent. Then to use this logic neither is sleeping in a cave. I had some very good trip caving as a scout the ones that had overnighters were by far the best.

Heck, I count the OA Ordeal as a night of camping and we all know they don't sleep in a tent!

There is cabin camping and there is cabin camping. I've "camped" in cabins that were nicer than my home with flush toilets, restaurant quality kitchens, huge fireplaces, bunks, TVs, air conditioning, etc. I've seen outings concentrate on video games, movies, JLT training, i.e. practically all indoor type activities. I have no problem with outings like these, I just generally don't count them as "camping."

On the other hand, we've had outings where we prepare, cook, eat and clean up outside, go on hikes, i.e. do most of our activities outside but at the end of the day sleep in a rustic cabin. Those I generally count as "camping."

Again, I believe the SM has the discretion to determine what constitutes camping (see TroopMaster).