We have a District Camporee this weekend.

I have some work to catch up on.

I was off last week thanks to Wood Badge.

I will try to go up for the campfire and Scouts Own.

OJ is there so I may go up to Somerset and pick him up stopping for brunch at Seven Springs.

Eamonn

Been back for a few hours from our District Camporee.

It was "Leave No Trace" theme. We set up 7 outposts that went over each LNT principle. Had a game, or patrol competition at each station.

We topped off the weekend with a large campfire, a few skits, U.S. Flag burning...I mean retirement. Did get to meet Hops in person.

The Camporee went off without a hitch. If any of you guy out there are intrested in this LNT Camporee,let me know and I'll send you some info.

YIS

Cary P

The Fall Fellowship was a bit of a bust...the problem was Isabel, seems that most school districts were running classes on Sat. to make up for the missed days.

Also, the camp was a mess, gonna take a lot of work to get it back in shape...however, the estimate of 1300 trees being down seems to be on the low side, my guess would be around 3x's number if the leaners are counted..

Well, next year's Fellowship will be better...(fingers crossed)..

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a good trip to Mt. Monadnock in southern NH. One of our classic trips. We camp in the state park and climb the mountain on Saturday. It's a little more than 2 miles to the summit at about 3100ft. Small by even New England standards, but the vegetation at the top was burned off many years ago and you get above tree line for the last 300 ft or so. We break camp and head home Sunday am. It's a popular spot and there were at least four other Troops camping there this past weekend.

Some comments from the younger kids were nice to hear. "I've never been this high before." "Wow, look at the view."

Views from the top were spectacular. You could see all the way to Boston. 70 miles. But with an air temp of 22 degrees and a 30 - 40 mile per hour wind, we didn't stay on top long.

Showed the kids how to make an apple crisp in a dutch oven. I had borrowed one for the weekend. It came out really good and went fast after a days hike. The Troop doesn't own one and they had not seen this before.

All in all a good weekend.

Spent two days outdoors with some good people. Didn't see or hear any news for nearly 48 hours and got home to watch the Pats win.

SA

Well, it wasnt camping, but it was an adventure, the Venturing Crew, featuring Outdoor Thinker and the renown YoungSpikedEagle took a pilgramage to the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA.

While there we saw at least three boy scout troops in full uniform and a few cub scout in their blue uniform.

We roamed the store for three hours and need to go back as we havent seen quite everything yet.

Truly, truly a high adventure at Cabela's! Apparently Boy Scouts like to shop...cause there were hoards of them.

OGE, I know we skipped a room full of dead, I mean "taken" deer, but was there really more that we missed?

We are gonna be gone camping next weekend. WAHOO!! The crew's off to Gettysburg!

Gettysburd is great. I went there with my troop back in '97 while we were heading up to Baltimore, DC, and a visit to Jambo. There is something awe inspiring about the place. It is beyond my ability to explain, but it is plain that it is hallowed ground.

Have a good time (and if you go into town, don't worry about the constant sirens, it is nothing.)

We will be doing the in town hike through the historic section. Most of us have done the Johnny Reb and Billy Yank trails at least once. A few have gone to the Eisenhower farm and the in city hike will complete my Gettysburg patch.

The best part is this time we will have a special guest along with us, a real Civil War geek, a guy who already knows the script to Gods and Generals, who is being kidnapped by his princess of a sister to spend his birthday at Gettysburg.

For the record CivilWarThinker is not being kidnapped. He is coming willingly...well, he doesnt know where we are going yet, but regardless, he is putting caution to the wind and knows that his sister, a scout, is trustworthy and is looking forward to the trip. The look on his face will be priceless when the destination is finally revealed.

Should be interesting, as it will be the first time I am really meshing the biological family with the Venturing family. Maybe the crew will be blessed with having another Thinker among its ranks.

Golly Beav, don't worry about the Bass Pro Shop opening, there will be a bunch of kids there and junk and so crowded you won't see whitey or lumpy, just a bunch of eddie haskells. And you might bump into Miss Landers checking out handguns (she was a survialist you know)

I suggest going to training (never a bad choice) and then check out the Bass Pro Shop the following week end without all the hub-bub, bub.