If I could design a campground

If I had the moey to design a campground for boy scouts...

I would want 15 miles of trail, broken down so a troop could hike 5, 10, or all 15 on a weekend or long weekend. I would have semi-developed sites set up to support these hikes. The sites would have potable water, composting toilets, and small fire pits. Of course, I would want it in a location where there is plenty of firewood and a pond or stream. I would set up an emergency access road but restrict all users to foot traffic only.

If you could build your "perfect" scout campground, what would you include?

Oh - I like the way you think!

Can i keep going from where you left off?

i would try to include Surprises and challenges along the trail - a log or rope bridge across a creek, gully or marshy area. (built by scouts, of course) Maybe a crossing where they had to wade.... perhaps a lashed lookout tower to climb?

to me and my son - no summer camp and many weekend programs are not as fun if they don't include water - REAL water - not a chlorinated pool. with fish and frogs and critters in it. Now, if that trial went along a river or a lake - preferably in Wisconsin where most water is sand-bottomed and great for a cooling swim or wading for hot, tired feet - then perhaps the boys could hike up the trail, and canoe back.

Better still, if there were loops and additional trails that could be done on a bike - maybe crossing the footpaths, or joining the hiking trails at the campsites, that would be great, too.

laura

Hmmmm....

Add a climbing tower, large lake or pool for canoeing( large lake preferred, but pool would work if big enough), one established campsite, several semi established sites along trails. Add more trails. Much longer. Must have a flag pole.... lashed together of course;)

Keep in mind that when we go camping it's usually with 100 to 130 people -- 50 or 60 Cub Scouts, 10 or 20 younger siblings and 40 or 50 parents, half of whom stand around looking like a doe caught in headlights.

So for us the perfect campground would have easy car access, but with parking some distance away; clean bathrooms with hot and cold water; a picnic shelter big enough to serve as camp headquarters, mess hall and emergency shelter; some conventional cooking facilities (at least a refrigerator or icemaker and sink); a large activity field; playground or other activity areas where the kids can play on their own; a fire ring to accommodate a crowd our size; a supply of firewood; tents and/or shelters for those who don't have their own; certified staff to run aquatics, climbing walls and BB or archery ranges, if the facilities are available (it makes our kids crazy to have those facilities but not be able to use them); and finally trails and woods close enough that we can get away from all this civilization once in a while.

Large campsites broken up into patrol campsites, at least 8 patrol campsites, with a fire ring in the center of the campsite.

At least a 1/4 mile walk to get to the campsite.

Clean Kybos, good water to drink and close.

No trains close, seems that all scout camps around this area has a train track that runs right next to it!

Tent pads! We had 3 inches of rainwater run thru our campsite two nights in a row at Webelos resident camp this summer and soak every tent inside. Nine and ten year old boys (many away from parents for the first time) having to sleep in wet bags really dampened (pun intended) their spirits for camping. The campsite had a road above the site with a hill on the other side of the road. Directly behind our site was a creek. The water had nowhere to go but thru camp. Why they built a campsite there is beyond me. But a number of various sized pads of chat gravel held in by railroad ties sure would have made for a more pleasant experience for cubs.....or anyone. In fact, when I return for the second weekend of Wood Badge, one of the projects will be to put railroad ties and rock around the SM hut (pavilion) in this campsite as it stays to muddy around it to use it.

Our camp is part of a large reservation that requires vans to move the campers and staff around from one program area to the next. Can't expect a scout to hike miles between classes and still get there on time BUT you get sick of all he cars and vans zipping around the camp.

This may sound crazy, but I want a train...

Some thing like you see in the amusment parks. Close all the roads and use the train. Box cars to take your gear to your camp site, open pasenger cars to move scouts and staff from one area to another, tank cars if you need them for water (or just for show)...

It'll have to have a jump rock at least 20 feet high that overlooks crystal clear water. A good river along side, with some easy III's.

Should also be useable for Venture crews to run a Long Hunter program for muzzle loading season....vension roasting over a campfire, three sister pottage and some fry bread, or biscuts, just add some cobbler and the world is sweet...