I've heard of different troops that use honor patrol systems as a means of friendly competition between patrols and to build up patrol spirit. In a few months, I hope to have enough Scouts in my troop to where we can create a second patrol and start an Honor Patrol system. What kind of point systems do other troops use and how do they reward the Honor Patrol once they've earned the honor?

You can set up a scoring system where attendance at a meeting is a point a person for the patrol. Complete uniform is another point. Attendance at a function is worth a point a patrol member and placing in any Council/Disctrict function's overall competition is worth 25 points. Advancement a rank is worth 15 points and each merit badge is worth three points per scout. Having the Patrol Flag at a meeting is worth 5 points as well as along on a function. I am sure you get the idea, you can add whatever makes sense to your troop. Let the kids know what the rules are and let it go, it should make for fun. Be sure to give some reward for the winner and let them know what they are striving for. It may be a campout where the other patrol does the cooking and cleaning. Actually, even better, ask the boys what the reward should be, that makes more sense(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

In the Scoutmaster's Handbook, there are instructions and talley sheet for the Baden-Powell Patrol Award, which is star patch worn around the patrol medalon and a streamer for the patrol flag. It may be earned many times.

Instead of setting up a seperate "honor patrol", encourage the patrols to compete for that honor. The requirements include uniforming, patrol meetings, attendance at meetings, service projects and so on.

By using this, you can create a healthly competition between the patrols, and encourage patrol spirit within your troop.

The patrol method is the method Baden-Powell recommended, having seen troops that don't activily promote patrol competition versus those that do, the ones that do are happier and actually have better growth. Talk the idea over with you Patrol Leader's Council and get them on board, and watch the fun.